How do the theoretical and actual masses of hydrocarbon reactions compare?

• Thread starter KYJelly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the online chemistry experiment that you are trying to do seems to be working fine, but you may have noticed that the masses of CO2 and H2O (as products) don't change.
KYJelly

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing a grade 11 chemistry lab online...So, there's three reactions that we have to interpret...

1. CH4 + 2 O2 ---> CO2 + 2 H2O
2. 2 C2H6 + 7 O2 ---> 4 CO2 + 6 H2O
3. C3H8 + 5 O2 ---> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

Now, when I add the theoretical masses of the products for the first reaction (I'll spare the math for now), they add up to mass of the actual masses of the products in the first reaction. However, when I sum the theoretical masses of the products in the second reaction, I don't get the same sum as the actual masses in the second or third reaction. I notice that the actual masses for all three reactions (methane, ethane, and propane) are exactly the same. Is this just because the mass loss in the actual reactions are attributed to waste products and heat, or am I doing something terribly incorrect? Or is there something wrong with my simulation.

PS - I can provide my math, but I feel as though the program is working fine and that it's just that all hydrocarbon reactions of this sort yield the same product mass no matter what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your stoichiometric equations appear perfectly OK.

I don't know if the point that is troubling you is just that in order 1, 2, 3 per mole of carbon you have a lower then lower proportion of hydrogen. So in that order, for the same amount of CO2 produced you produce less then less water H2O. The first compound is CH4, you could say the second is equivalent to CH3. Along the series you have fewer C-H bonds and more C-C bonds

No, the point that is troubling to me is that there's always the same mass of products in each reaction in the online experiment. For example, CH4 + 2 O2 ---> CO2 + 2 H20 yields 292 grams of CO2 and 179 grams of water, and 2 C2H6 + 7 O2 ---> 4 CO2 + 6 H2O yields 292 grams of CO2 and 179 grams of water, and C3H8 + 5 O2 ---> 3 CO2 + 4H2O also yields 292 grams of CO2 and 179 grams of water vapour in the online experiment.

Well I can't say more without seeing this online chemistry that is you are trying. If you could post it all verbatim perhaps I could help. Maybe reaction was with a fixed amount of oxygen?

Yeah, the only thing that changes is the hydrocarbon gas. Methane, Ethane, Propane. But, the masses of CO2 and H2O (as products) don't change.

Maybe it's about a fixed amount of oxygen, or maybe there is a product elemental carbon as you had in another problem, but unless I see the original text I'm just guessing what this is about

1. What is combustion of hydrocarbons?

Combustion of hydrocarbons is a chemical reaction that occurs when a hydrocarbon (a compound made up of carbon and hydrogen) reacts with oxygen in the presence of heat, resulting in the release of energy in the form of heat and light.

2. What are the products of combustion of hydrocarbons?

The products of combustion of hydrocarbons are carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O). Other byproducts such as carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) may also be produced depending on the conditions of the reaction.

3. What factors affect the rate of combustion of hydrocarbons?

The rate of combustion of hydrocarbons is affected by several factors including the concentration of oxygen, temperature, surface area of the hydrocarbon, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher concentrations of oxygen and higher temperatures typically result in faster combustion rates.

4. How does the combustion of hydrocarbons impact the environment?

The combustion of hydrocarbons releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into the atmosphere. This contributes to the warming of the Earth's climate. Incomplete combustion, which can occur in engines or poorly ventilated areas, can also lead to the production of harmful pollutants such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when dealing with the combustion of hydrocarbons?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when dealing with the combustion of hydrocarbons. These include ensuring proper ventilation to prevent the build-up of harmful gases, using appropriate protective equipment when handling fuels or other hydrocarbons, and following proper storage and disposal procedures to prevent fires and other hazards.