Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combustion question

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    If i am trying to burn a fuel in air am i right in saying if i have a higher temerature compared to a lower temperature of air, the higher temperature air has more moles of air to burn than the lower temperature air for complete combustion to occur?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much air? A constant mass? Constant volume?

At a given pressure, air is less dense at higher temperature (less mass per unit volume).

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

In general, yes. Cold air is denser (all else being equal), and therefore has more O2 molecules per volume, and so less air (by volume) is required to accomplish the same combustion. This of course does not hold true if the "all else" is not equal. Ari pressure has a significant effect and humidity can make a huge difference.

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The OP asked whether having a higher temperature provided more air for combustion. That's clearly not true.

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

Ah yes; I read it as saying higher temperature requires more air, but upon re-read, I see that was almost the oposite of the poster's intent.

Engineerign, higher temperature air is thinner and contains less O2 than colder air (again, all else being equal), and therefore provides a better comustion reaction.

7. Apr 20, 2008 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's not that a higher temperature air contains less 02, it is simply less dense. Since you are dealing with a constant volume device, then the lower density means less air (coincidentally less O2).

8. Apr 20, 2008 #7
    Hi there:

Here is a free MS Excel spreadsheet on combustion -- http://engware.i-dentity.com/pf/combustion.xls.

For any fuel and oxidant combustion scenario whwre stoichiometry is => 1, one can calculate the combustion flame temperature, combustion products composition on both weight and mole basis, stoichiometry and stoichiometric ratio.

Thanks,

Gordan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?