Complete Combustion: Higher vs Lower Air Temp

• Thread starter engineering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, at a given pressure, higher temperature air is less dense and contains less O2 molecules per volume compared to colder air, resulting in a better combustion reaction. However, this only applies if all other factors, such as air pressure and humidity, remain constant. Additionally, the statement that a higher temperature provides more air for combustion is not correct, as the opposite is true. A free MS Excel spreadsheet is available for calculating various combustion scenarios.
engineering
If i am trying to burn a fuel in air am i right in saying if i have a higher temerature compared to a lower temperature of air, the higher temperature air has more moles of air to burn than the lower temperature air for complete combustion to occur?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much air? A constant mass? Constant volume?

At a given pressure, air is less dense at higher temperature (less mass per unit volume).

In general, yes. Cold air is denser (all else being equal), and therefore has more O2 molecules per volume, and so less air (by volume) is required to accomplish the same combustion. This of course does not hold true if the "all else" is not equal. Ari pressure has a significant effect and humidity can make a huge difference.

LURCH said:
In general, yes.

The OP asked whether having a higher temperature provided more air for combustion. That's clearly not true.

Ah yes; I read it as saying higher temperature requires more air, but upon re-read, I see that was almost the oposite of the poster's intent.

Engineerign, higher temperature air is thinner and contains less O2 than colder air (again, all else being equal), and therefore provides a better comustion reaction.

It's not that a higher temperature air contains less 02, it is simply less dense. Since you are dealing with a constant volume device, then the lower density means less air (coincidentally less O2).

Hi there:

Here is a free MS Excel spreadsheet on combustion -- http://engware.i-dentity.com/pf/combustion.xls.

For any fuel and oxidant combustion scenario whwre stoichiometry is => 1, one can calculate the combustion flame temperature, combustion products composition on both weight and mole basis, stoichiometry and stoichiometric ratio.

Thanks,

Gordan

What is complete combustion?

Complete combustion is a chemical reaction in which a fuel, such as a hydrocarbon, reacts with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide and water vapor as the only products. This process requires a sufficient amount of oxygen to completely oxidize the fuel.

What is the difference between higher and lower air temperature in complete combustion?

The main difference between higher and lower air temperature in complete combustion is the rate at which the reaction occurs. Higher air temperature provides more energy to the reaction, resulting in a faster and more efficient combustion. Lower air temperature, on the other hand, can slow down the reaction and potentially lead to incomplete combustion.

What are the benefits of complete combustion?

Complete combustion has several benefits, including producing maximum energy output with minimum waste products. It also reduces the emission of pollutants and helps in reducing the negative impact on the environment.

How does the amount of oxygen affect complete combustion?

The amount of oxygen is a crucial factor in complete combustion. Without enough oxygen, the reaction may not occur or may produce harmful byproducts, such as carbon monoxide. On the other hand, excess oxygen can lead to energy waste and increased emissions of nitrogen oxides.

Can complete combustion occur without oxygen?

No, complete combustion requires oxygen to occur. Without oxygen, the reaction cannot proceed, and incomplete combustion will result in the production of harmful byproducts. In some cases, alternative oxidizers such as chlorine or fluorine can be used, but they are not as efficient as oxygen.