Solve Combustion Equation: Get b & c Values

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the conversation is about a stoichiometric equation for a combustion question where the air intake is only 90%. The question is about how to obtain values for b and c during element balancing. The attempt at a solution includes equations for b and c, but the values obtained are incorrect. The final answer is given as 4.57 CO2, 2.26 CO, and 9 H2O, but the process of obtaining these values is still unclear.
Jones1987

Homework Statement

I have worked out the Stoichiometric equation for this Combustion question, however the second part the Air Intake is only 90% which I have also worked out. My question is, during the element balancing how do I obtain values for b and c.

Homework Equations

So this is how it currently stands:

[6.83C + 18H] + 10.20 O2 + 38.34 N2

b CO2 + c CO + d H2O + 38.34 N2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand this:

C: 6.83 = b + c
H: 18 = 2d
O: 10.20 = 2b + c + d

I have the answer which is;

4.57 CO2 and 2.26 CO

I understand how to obtain the H20 value, but I assumed b + c = 6.83 would just be

b = 3.41
c = 3.41

But this is wrong so could anyone explain how I get the actual values for b and c?

The final answer looks like this:

[Fuel] + 10.20 O2 + 38.35 N2

4.57 CO2 + 2.26 CO + 9 H2O

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
2 equation, 2 unknowns:

equation #1: c = 6.83 - b

equation #2: c = 10.20 - 2b - d

d is known from 18 = 2d. Equate both equations to find b, then find c.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm still lost, any chance you (anyone) could walk me through / give the solution to how the end result is obtained?

What is a combustion equation?

A combustion equation is a chemical equation that represents a combustion reaction, which is a type of chemical reaction that involves a substance reacting with oxygen gas to produce heat and light. These reactions are essential for many industrial and natural processes, such as burning fuel for energy or photosynthesis in plants.

How do you solve a combustion equation?

To solve a combustion equation, you must balance the equation by making sure that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound. Once the equation is balanced, you can then use the coefficients to determine the molar ratios and calculate the values of b and c.

What are b and c values in a combustion equation?

In a combustion equation, b and c represent the coefficients of the reactants and products, respectively. These coefficients indicate the number of molecules or moles of each substance involved in the reaction. They are essential for balancing the equation and determining the molar ratios of the reactants and products.

Why is it important to solve a combustion equation?

Solving a combustion equation is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that the equation is balanced, which is necessary for accurate calculations. Additionally, it allows us to determine the molar ratios of the reactants and products, which can help us understand the stoichiometry of the reaction and make predictions about the amounts of substances involved. This information is crucial for many practical applications, such as designing efficient combustion engines.

What are some tips for solving combustion equations?

Some helpful tips for solving combustion equations include starting by balancing the elements that appear in only one compound, using fractions to balance equations with odd numbers of atoms, and checking your work by making sure the number of atoms on both sides of the equation is equal. It is also essential to have a good understanding of basic chemical concepts, such as the mole concept and stoichiometry, to solve these equations accurately.