Combustion Reactions: Answers to Your Questions

In summary, combustion reactions do not always result in water and carbon dioxide being formed. It can also just produce water or only carbon dioxide, and these products may not always be present. The reaction of Iron(II)oxide(s) + oxygen(g)--> iron(III)oxide(s) can be considered both a combustion and a synthesis reaction. The general rule for combustion is the "combustion triangle" which requires heat, fuel, and an oxidizer for the reaction to occur.
AzMaphysics

Homework Statement

Does combustion reactions always result in water and carbon dioxide being formed, can it just have water or just carbon dioxide, or does water and carbon dioxide not need to be products.

Furthermore would Iron(II)oxide(s) + oxygen(g)--> iron(III)oxide(s) be considered a combustion or synthesis reaction.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked at a few sources on the internet including wikipedia, but they all seem to contradict what my book or what my teacher says in some way. I would really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Combustion is a very broad class of chemical reactions, and no - it does not always result in carbon dioxide and water. But for general purposes (i.e. AP Chemistry, etc), combustion just refers to the heating of a hydrocarbon in the presence of diatomic oxygen, which will always give carbon dioxide and water.

Personally i use the general rule for combustion that fire safety experts often tout, its the combustion triangle. There are three requirements for a combustion, Heat, Fuel and an Oxidiser. That's it, if you meet all three you can call it combustion provided its exothermic.

I've not come across any exceptions to that rule yet.

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a substance reacts with oxygen to produce heat and light. It is also commonly known as burning.

2. What are the products of a combustion reaction?

The products of a combustion reaction depend on the reactants involved. Generally, the products include carbon dioxide, water vapor, and heat energy.

3. What are some common examples of combustion reactions?

Some common examples of combustion reactions include burning a candle, starting a fire, and the combustion of gasoline in a car engine.

4. How is combustion different from other types of chemical reactions?

Combustion is different from other types of chemical reactions because it requires the presence of oxygen to occur. It also produces heat and light as products, which is not typically seen in other reactions.

5. What are the safety precautions to take when dealing with combustion reactions?

Some safety precautions to take when dealing with combustion reactions include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and having a fire extinguisher nearby in case of accidents. It is also important to carefully follow instructions and properly dispose of any leftover materials.