Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Comcast and antitrust laws

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Here’s How Comcast Plans to Rule American Cable and Internet
    http://www.wired.com/business/2014/03/comcast-opinion/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I officially was notified last week in a letter thy sent, I'm currently with Time Warner. :(

4. May 15, 2014 #3

SixNein

Gold Member

The death of net neutrality is going to place a significant amount of power in their hands even if they don't merge.

It's already hitting some startups:
    http://www.technologyreview.com/new...t-fast-lane-is-already-hurting-some-startups/

And I don't look for congress to step in any time soon. The only expert advice they get is from lobbyists. They killed the program that gave them expert advice on technology in 1995.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ely-to-remain-clueless-about-technology.shtml

So one might as well talk to a tree when it comes to problems in ultra strong IP, anti-trust, privacy, and a large number of other issues in technology. Everyone is an expert I guess =/

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. Nov 10, 2014 #4
  6. Nov 10, 2014 #5

SixNein

Gold Member

7. Nov 11, 2014 #6
    Apparently the millions of people that support him

8. Nov 11, 2014 #7

SixNein

Gold Member

I think it says a lot about the state of our politics when people like him are taken seriously.

9. Nov 11, 2014 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Nov 11, 2014 #9

SixNein

Gold Member

My above post from MIT contradicts the claims being made by republicans.

11. Nov 11, 2014 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly. :)

12. Nov 11, 2014 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, I for one would hope that the President does not use his office to reward his supporters and punish his enemies.

As far as the argument "Ted Cruz is against it so I must be for it", well, personally, I don't want to let Ted Cruz do my thinking for me.

While "neutrality" sounds like a good thing, and Comcast is (IMHO rightfully) one of the most hated companies in America, this is a much more complex issue than can be decided by "Comcast and Ted Cruz don't like it, and in any event, who doesn't like neutrality?" Indeed, many networks try very hard not to be neutral - the term is Quality of Service (QoS). If I am streaming video (or more importantly, audio), I need the packet to arrive within a very small window - measured in milliseconds. If I am downloading a new release of Linux, I have more flexibility and can better tolerate delayed packets. If you don't like the carrier imposing a surcharge on streaming video, perhaps you would agree to a discount for a lower QoS.

Of course, there are many variations of this, and people have different opinions on what the best policy is. But "net neutrality" is more a slogan than an actual policy.

13. Nov 12, 2014 #12

mheslep

Gold Member

The Tech Review no longer has a direct connection to MIT, despite the name. TR is published now by an independent media company, though MIT owns the company.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  14. Nov 12, 2014 #13

SixNein

Gold Member

I don't think anyone is making the argument that an operator shouldn't be able to prioritize streaming over email traffic. We are talking about the ability to adjust priorities based on non-technical reasons. What streaming services should we give priority to and which ones should we deny? Those kinds of questions are what the debate is all about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook