Come Up With a New Science Toy

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Indeed. "spare the pinch, spoil the child" as it were. As long as fingers aren't severed or skin broken.
sanman
Suggest an idea for a new science toy that demonstrates or exploits some interesting aspect of physics, which might be entertaining/appealing to youngsters, and which has not been made yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure anyone would be willing to that in an open forum, especially if the idea is potentially marketable.

Hmm, not really physics per se.. But I could imagine a game based on numerical methods (I do too many calculations) :)

Player 1 has a piece on a board, and gets to move to a number of spots, 'degrees of freedom'. Player 2 has to guess which spot P1 is going to move to. If P2 correctly anticipates which move P1 makes, then P1 loses a degree of freedom for his next move. If P2 did not correctly guess, then P1 gains a degree of freedom.

P2's goal is to get P1 to converge, by trapping him into a situation where he cannot move. P1's goal is to diverge, by getting some number of degrees of freedom that predicting his next move is deemed impossible. You'd have to come up with some interesting board design and specific rules to make sure the game was balanced.

Now that I think of it, there are already a number of games which (chess, go, hex) which indirectly include this concept to varying extents. But I suppose that just goes to show it's a fruitful idea.

The baby is absolutely adorable! But, isn't that a little dangerous for a small child to be playing with lol. Though, I would have loved to have something like that as a kid.

mcknia07 said:
The baby is absolutely adorable! But, isn't that a little dangerous for a small child to be playing with lol. Though, I would have loved to have something like that as a kid.

Thank you very much! Yes, multiple pinch points mean adult supervision is needed. I made this from spare parts for my son's first Christmas, he is a year older now and still loves playing with the "Science Toy"

jmatejka said:
Thank you very much! Yes, multiple pinch points mean adult supervision is needed. I made this from spare parts for my son's first Christmas, he is a year older now and still loves playing with the "Science Toy"

i think it's brilliant. pinchy things teach lessons, too!

Proton Soup said:
i think it's brilliant. pinchy things teach lessons, too!

Indeed. "spare the pinch, spoil the child" as it were. As long as fingers aren't severed or skin broken.
Just from your pics I can see why you supervise a child playing with it.

What materials are needed to make the new science toy?

The materials needed will depend on the specific toy you are trying to create. However, some common materials used in science toys include cardboard, paper, magnets, wires, batteries, and household items such as straws, rubber bands, and plastic bottles. You may also need tools such as scissors, glue, and tape.

How can I come up with ideas for a new science toy?

One way to come up with ideas for a new science toy is to brainstorm and think about concepts or scientific principles that interest you. You can also look at existing toys and think about ways to improve or modify them to make them more educational or engaging. Collaborating with other scientists or conducting research on current trends in science education can also spark new ideas.

What age group is the new science toy suitable for?

The age range for the new science toy will depend on the complexity and safety of the toy. It is important to consider the developmental level of the intended audience and to include appropriate safety measures for younger children. You may also want to test the toy with a variety of age groups to ensure its effectiveness and appeal.

How can I make sure the new science toy is safe for children to use?

Safety should be a top priority when creating a new science toy. Make sure to thoroughly test the toy for any potential hazards, such as small parts that could be swallowed or sharp edges. You may also want to include warning labels and instructions for use. If possible, seek input from child safety experts or have the toy reviewed by a safety certification organization.

How can I make the new science toy educational and fun?

The key to making a science toy both educational and fun is to strike a balance between the two. The toy should incorporate scientific concepts in a hands-on and interactive way, while also being engaging and entertaining for the user. Consider incorporating elements of play, problem-solving, and creativity into the design of the toy to make it both educational and enjoyable.