Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comet Holmes is next to ?

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I went out and spotted Holmes tonight. Nice little blob next to Mirfak. Tomorrow I'll get out my scope.

I want to see its track so I'm looking for a sky map that shows its path.

Wiki has one but there's something weird about the map. It seems to label Mirfak (Perseus alpha) with the alternate name Alcheb but labels Perseus gamma as Algenib.

Is this map wrong?

I Wiki'd Alcheb, but it simply redirects to Mirfak.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes but the Wiki image seems to actually be mislabelled. It seems to list Perseus gamma as Alchenib.

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mgb,
    You have linked to a map of Pegasus, Not Perseus.Here is persus with the track of Comet Holmes.

6. Nov 14, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I got involved in the site - peg was the last one I looked at.

7. Nov 14, 2007 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I couldn't spot Perseus in a bucket but it's really easy to star hop from Cassiopeia. Holmes is visible even in a megacity.

Attached is my observation.

(I'll fix the spelling another time).

Attached Files:

8. Nov 14, 2007 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I watched Holmes also last night (northern hemisphere) Away from the city lights, i can see it unaided, with binoculars it very prominent (fuzz ball). In early evening, I found Perseus below Casseopeia. After midnight however, I was dismayed. Where did Perseus go? It threw me a bit, until I realized that after several hours, Perseus appears inverted.

9. Nov 14, 2007 #8
    Saw Holmes in our astronomy clubs' 25 inch telescope under a dark sky. My what a beauty. It looked for all the world like a jelly fish.

10. Nov 16, 2007 #9
    This comet really makes me wonder. Most comets you can see have a tail. Now this comet it looks like it has a large halo witch makes me think that it is coming strait towards earth. Maybe not a direct hit or anything like that but it does make me think. Not since I have been on this planet has a comet hit earth but thats not to say that it has never happened. How would the general public really know. Its not like the government is going to say anything. just like all of the UFO stuff that has happened in the past. This is just my $.02

11. Nov 16, 2007 #10

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is going away from the Earth near opposition, i.e. in our sky it is directly opposite the Sun, and the tail is flowing directly away from us.

Garth

12. Nov 16, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

The tail(s) can be seen in very deep-exposure photographs, though they are greatly foreshortened due to our viewing angle as Garth pointed out. If the outburst keeps up, we may get a better view of the tail as our vantage point improves.

13. Nov 16, 2007 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just to clarify a little what the others said, the tell does not point away from the direction of motion of the comet, it points directly away from the sun. So the fact that we can't see much of a tail just means it is on the other side of the sun from us. It doesn't imply anything at all abou the comet's direction of motion.

Also, Holmes is a periodic comet. It has been seen before. Any astronomer worth his salt could tell you that it is not on a collision course with earth. I have a planetarium program that plots its course through our sky.

14. Nov 21, 2007 #13

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Comet Holmes is getting bigger!
    Garth

15. Nov 21, 2007 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Has its brightness changed? Or more importantly, has its naked-eye visibility increased (whether by brightness or by size)?

I was out in the country 'tother day trying to show it to others but didn't spot it. If it's that large, I might have been missing the forest for the trees!

Too bad we've got lousy weather here in S.Ontario for the next week or so...

16. Nov 21, 2007 #15

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't find it with the naked eye last night. A week or two ago it was easy to spot. But with binoculars I saw it. It is pretty big now.

17. Nov 28, 2007 #16

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i observed Holmes again last night. it appears more diffuse compared to my last observ. on 11-14 but very distinctive. From a viewer's perspective in the northern hemisphere, I notice it now appears to the right of Mirfak, as it tracks through Perseus. DaveC426913's original link indicates Holmes path and will make it easier to find, for those who are now looking.

18. Nov 28, 2007 #17

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to take a closer look through the Hubble Space Telescope.

Garth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?