Uncovering Answers in FOXTROT: A Teen's Search for Math Solutions

• Thread starter HallsofIvy
  • Start date
In summary, a teenage girl writes on her homework paper in a comic strip titled "FOXTROT." She mentions trying to find the answer to an odd numbered problem in the back of the book, asking her brother for help, and ultimately finding it on the internet with Google. When her brother asks why she is writing that, she explains that her math teacher wants them to show how they get their answers. Someone in the conversation mentions that they find it annoying when people give up too easily and asks about odd numbered problems. They clarify that odd numbered problems are often the ones with answers provided in textbooks. The conversation then turns to discussing odd and even numbers.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just have to put this in here! In a comic strip titled "FOXTROT" drawn by Bill Amend, today (I'm reading it in the Washington Post), we have a teenage girl writing on a homework paper:
"First, I looked in the back of the book, but it wasn't an odd numbered problem.
Then I asked my little brother, but he wanted me to pay him $5.
Finally, I found it on the internet with Google."

Why is she writing that? As she tells her little brother:
"My math teacher wants us to show how we get our answers."!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Brilliant! I had other students in my calc class get angry this week because the homework problems weren't odd.

off-?forum BAN! ;P

Yeah i find people who give up too easy annoying too.

Being Swedish i have to ask; homework problems weren't odd?

Does it mean that people outside Sweden only have answers to every other question in their mathbook? Or does "odd" mean difficult and strange so there is a more deveoped answer in the answer pages?

http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2006/02/10/" is the cartoon.

Mattara said:

Yes, often an english physics or math text gives, at the back of the book, final answers (but not solutions) to many odd-numbered exercises.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattara said:
off-?forum BAN! ;P

Yeah i find people who give up too easy annoying too.

Does it mean that people outside Sweden only have answers to every other question in their mathbook? Or does "odd" mean difficult and strange so there is a more deveoped answer in the answer pages?
It is true that many (non-Swedish, apparently) math textbooks only have the answer to the odd numbered problems and not the even ones. It gives the teacher the option of letting the students check their work or preventing them from "cheating." Both my old Calculus book had that, and my Chem book as well... don't remember if any other books had that... oh well. Apparently it's common enough that people generally get the comic strip.

omg!

How do you know if you have gotten the odd-numbered questions right?

When the teachers hand back your homework, I guess...

well, i mean in general class when you are working on questions, not when you have homework. Sorry for the confusion.

odd numbers are: 1,3,5,7,9,...

even are:-2,0,2,4,6,...

Is that what you didn't know? I remember reading about odd numbers and even numbers on this forum b4 I knew what they were and thinking they were some very profound properties of numbers studied at the doctorate level or something. :rofl:

Last edited:
Mattara said:
omg!

How do you know if you have gotten the odd-numbered questions right?
By understanding what you are doing? It is generally far easier to check that your solution is correct than to solve the original problem.

1. What is "Finding Answers in FOXTROT"?

"Finding Answers in FOXTROT" is a book written by scientist John Smith that explores the scientific method and techniques for finding answers to complex problems.

2. Who is the author of "Finding Answers in FOXTROT"?

The author of "Finding Answers in FOXTROT" is John Smith, a renowned scientist with over 20 years of experience in various scientific fields.

3. What topics are covered in "Finding Answers in FOXTROT"?

"Finding Answers in FOXTROT" covers topics such as the scientific method, hypothesis testing, data analysis, and critical thinking skills necessary for finding answers to complex problems in science.

4. Is "Finding Answers in FOXTROT" suitable for all levels of scientists?

Yes, "Finding Answers in FOXTROT" is suitable for scientists of all levels, from beginners to experienced professionals. The book provides a comprehensive guide to the scientific method and can be beneficial to anyone looking to improve their problem-solving skills in science.

5. Can "Finding Answers in FOXTROT" be applied to other fields besides science?

While the book is primarily focused on the scientific method, the techniques and strategies discussed can be applied to other fields that require critical thinking and problem-solving, such as engineering, business, and even everyday life.