Comics: A Fun and Entertaining Way to Escape Reality?

• Thread starter gursikh11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comics
In summary, the conversation was about different people's love for reading comics. Some mentioned their favorite comics such as Iron Man, Calvin and Hobbes, and comics with a blend of reality and fantasy like "Herbie, The Fat Fury" and "Howard The Duck". Others mentioned reading webcomics and comics in the daily paper. There was also discussion about attending Comic-Con and using websites like Pixton to create and share comics. The conversation ended with someone mentioning their preference for Marvel comics and another person mentioning XKCD as their favorite.

Love Comics?

• Yes

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
gursikh11
How many of you like love to read comics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoy a good comic now and then. Mostly Iron Man.

Calvin and Hobbes all day, every day

When i am bored i love to read comics.i make me relax from hectic schedule

My own favorite was always comics that blended reality with fantasy in a unique way. "Herbie, The Fat Fury" , "E-Man" and of course the more recently "Howard The Duck" come to mind.
Mathal

Everything with Goscinny as a co-author. Chninkel. Lately Jerz Jeży (in Polish only, but with English wikipedia page).

Borek said:
Everything with Goscinny as a co-author.

I know, right? The ones with Uderzo doing the writing and illustrating were a little trite, almost as if it didn't come naturally to Uderzo and he was trying too hard.

Then again, I only read the English translations by Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge, so I don't know how much of the humour was in the French originals and how much was injected by the English translators. Hilarious, anyway. :biggrin:

I haven't been interested in comics for years, but since Occupy Wall Street began I've been reading a lot of comics coming out of that movement. Its like watching the evolution of a brain storming session that never ends as they struggle to find the most effective way to express themselves and get their message across to people. They've already made 99% a household term and I can't help but wonder how many more contributions to the lexicon they might make.

Do webcomics count? Because I read oodles of those, but I've never read a comic book before.

I read the comics in the daily paper - all except the execrable Mark Trail. The author knows NOTHING about wilderness, fish, or game, and makes a mess of everything he writes about. I wish we still had Calvin and Hobbes, and I'd love to have a daily dose of Fraz, too. At least the paper got rid of Nancy a couple of years back and they only feature Dennis the Menace in the colored Sunday comics.

My brother gave my girlfriend a book of cartoons, mostly without captions. It's called The Frank Book. Way Weird! Manhog, etc. Might be like early Matt Groening?

I read Doonesbury and Dilbert most days. Used to read the Sunday funnies years ago when I got a large big-city newspaper.

I used to like them but the ones in the papers are generally for the most part too simplistic for me to enjoy anymore. I never really got into superhero type comics but that was mostly because I had TV cartoon shows to watch instead as a kid. If you like comics I can't remember the sites name but it let's you make and view other peoples comics. Ok figured out what it's called though I haven't used it in forever (pixton) is the sites name. I remember when I used it that it would be a great site for teaching things as you can easily make diagrams ect with the tools it gives.

I don't think I'd ever attend a Comic-Con anytime soon, but I do love my fair-share of comics :-D.

I'm personally a big fan of the Marvel comics. I prefer the classic ones, but I'm quite open to my comic taste overall.

XKCD. The comic to end all comics.

I like to read comics very much.

dane cook

...did i do that right?

1. What makes comics a popular form of entertainment?

Comics are a popular form of entertainment because they offer a unique combination of visual art and storytelling. The use of illustrations and dialogue allows readers to immerse themselves in the story and connect with the characters in a way that is not possible in other forms of media.

2. Are comics only for children?

No, comics are not just for children. While comics have historically been associated with children's entertainment, the medium has evolved to include a wide range of genres and themes that appeal to readers of all ages.

3. Do I need to read comics in a specific order?

It is recommended to read comics in the order they were published, as they are often serialized and build upon previous issues. However, some comics may have standalone stories or can be read out of order without affecting the overall narrative.

4. Are comics a form of literature?

Yes, comics can be considered a form of literature. They use narrative, dialogue, and visual elements to tell a story and can convey complex themes and ideas. Many comics have been critically acclaimed and recognized as a legitimate form of literature.

5. How have comics changed over time?

Comics have changed significantly over time, from their origins as newspaper comic strips to the diverse range of genres and styles seen today. The medium has also become more inclusive, with a growing number of diverse characters and stories being represented in comics.