Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comics as a entertaiment

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    How many of you like love to read comics?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I enjoy a good comic now and then. Mostly Iron Man.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

RunSwimSurf

Gold Member

Calvin and Hobbes all day, every day

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4
    When i am bored i love to read comics.i make me relax from hectic schedule

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    My own favorite was always comics that blended reality with fantasy in a unique way. "Herbie, The Fat Fury" , "E-Man" and of course the more recently "Howard The Duck" come to mind.
    Mathal

7. Jan 14, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Everything with Goscinny as a co-author. Chninkel. Lately Jerz Jeży (in Polish only, but with English wikipedia page).

8. Jan 14, 2012 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I know, right? The ones with Uderzo doing the writing and illustrating were a little trite, almost as if it didn't come naturally to Uderzo and he was trying too hard.

Then again, I only read the English translations by Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge, so I don't know how much of the humour was in the French originals and how much was injected by the English translators. Hilarious, anyway. :biggrin:

9. Jan 14, 2012 #8
    I haven't been interested in comics for years, but since Occupy Wall Street began I've been reading a lot of comics coming out of that movement. Its like watching the evolution of a brain storming session that never ends as they struggle to find the most effective way to express themselves and get their message across to people. They've already made 99% a household term and I can't help but wonder how many more contributions to the lexicon they might make.

10. Jan 14, 2012 #9
    Do webcomics count? Because I read oodles of those, but I've never read a comic book before.

11. Jan 14, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I read the comics in the daily paper - all except the execrable Mark Trail. The author knows NOTHING about wilderness, fish, or game, and makes a mess of everything he writes about. I wish we still had Calvin and Hobbes, and I'd love to have a daily dose of Fraz, too. At least the paper got rid of Nancy a couple of years back and they only feature Dennis the Menace in the colored Sunday comics.

12. Jan 14, 2012 #11
    My brother gave my girlfriend a book of cartoons, mostly without captions. It's called The Frank Book. Way Weird! Manhog, etc. Might be like early Matt Groening?

13. Jan 14, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I read Doonesbury and Dilbert most days. Used to read the Sunday funnies years ago when I got a large big-city newspaper.

14. Jan 15, 2012 #13
    I used to like them but the ones in the papers are generally for the most part too simplistic for me to enjoy anymore. I never really got into superhero type comics but that was mostly because I had TV cartoon shows to watch instead as a kid. If you like comics I can't remember the sites name but it lets you make and view other peoples comics. Ok figured out what it's called though I haven't used it in forever (pixton) is the sites name. I remember when I used it that it would be a great site for teaching things as you can easily make diagrams ect with the tools it gives.

15. Jan 17, 2012 #14
    I don't think I'd ever attend a Comic-Con anytime soon, but I do love my fair-share of comics :-D.

I'm personally a big fan of the Marvel comics. I prefer the classic ones, but I'm quite open to my comic taste overall.

16. Jan 17, 2012 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

XKCD. The comic to end all comics.

17. Jan 18, 2012 #16
    I like to read comics very much.

18. Jan 19, 2012 #17

Hepth

Gold Member

dane cook

...did i do that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook