What are some good books for self-studying mathematics, including number theory?

In summary: I would also recommend The Mathematical Way by Timothy Gowers. It is a little bit more advanced, but it is dense and comprehensive. In summary, In summary, this book would be a good starting point for someone who wants to revisit mathematics, refresh their knowledge of high school math, and get back into doing proofs.
nonick
coming back to Mathematics!

hey

Its been long since i have done formal mathematics. I was good at mathematics at college and liked it as well. But ofcourse my skills have gone rusty. Now I want to study mathematics on my own, reading the high school mathematics (trignometry, algebra etc i.e basis of subjects) in depth with application. Would you please recommend some good books. Some people say that i should go with the Schaum Series. I have used those books for some quick recap at the grad school. What do you say? Please recommend some good books.

I wanted to read number theory actually but then i thought giving a good depth read to the basis is better. Can i start with the number theory right away?

many thanks

regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure you really need to do a full review of high school mathematics if you've already learned it once? You might find that you remember more than you think, once you start trying to use it again.

It might be more efficient (and more motivating) to proceed with your actual goal, namely get an elementary number theory book and start reading it. Then when you get stuck, you can go back and review (or ask questions here!) just enough to get unstuck.

One book you might consider is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540761977/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is pretty basic as number theory books go, and it includes solutions to all the exercises. You can preview it on Amazon to see whether it's over your head or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

I keep posting this list whenever I see these threads.

That should pretty much covered undergraduate subjects, depending on what you want to specialize in, & you certainly don't have to start from the beginning, but I think they are all really useful references. The Schaum's outline series is excellent as well, lots of example problems with solutions.

hey

many thanks for your replies and suggestions!

I didnt want to read everything of course:) i just wanted to say that i wanted to read mathematics in more depth. I think coz i have stayed away for so long so i am not confident enough. But thanks for the books suggestions. I think i will start with the Number theory right away

thanks

Well, if you feel you ability to do proofs has gone rusty too then I suggest you fix that first. A nice, gentle introduction to proofs is given by Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley, which mixes high school mathematics and elementary university stuff, but does it rigorously. Some of the chapters you can skip if you feel you know the material well. The chapters on Probability and Boolean Algebra are only if you're interested, and I would say skim or skip or read thoroughly (depending on how well you know the stuff) the chapters on Equations and Inequalities, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions, and Trig Functions. All the other chapters are essential reading.
Actually I feel it is a very good idea to start with this book for two reasons: to refresh your knowledge of high school math; and to bring you up to speed on doing proofs.

Last edited:

1. What is "Coming back to Mathematics"?

"Coming back to Mathematics" refers to the process of re-engaging with the subject of mathematics after a period of time away from it. This could be due to a hiatus in education or a shift in career focus.

2. Why is it important to come back to mathematics?

Mathematics is a fundamental subject that is used in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. By coming back to mathematics, you can refresh your skills and knowledge, which can greatly benefit you in both your personal and professional life.

3. How do I know if I am ready to come back to mathematics?

If you have a strong interest in mathematics and a desire to learn and improve your skills, then you are likely ready to come back to mathematics. It's also helpful to have a good foundation in basic math concepts and a willingness to put in the time and effort to catch up on any missed material.

4. What are some tips for successfully coming back to mathematics?

First, start with a self-assessment of your current math skills and knowledge. Then, create a plan for what you want to learn or review. Utilize online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, to supplement your learning. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for help from a tutor or mentor.

5. Is it ever too late to come back to mathematics?

No, it is never too late to come back to mathematics. Learning and improving in mathematics is a lifelong process, and it's never too late to start or pick it back up again. With dedication and persistence, anyone can improve their math skills at any age.