Exploring the Connection Between Entropy and Time in a Dynamic Universe

In summary, the existence of time is contingent upon the expansion of the universe. If the expansion ceased, time itself would come to a halt.
Godofgamblers
I"m starting to suspect that the existence of time is contingent upon the expansion of the universe. In other words, were the expansion to cease, time itself would come to a halt. As we know, as space accumulates thru expansion, time also accumulates. Thus, the space/time continuum is in fact the force we know as entropy. But were the expansion to stop for some reason, it seems logical to assume that time would also stop.

Thus, in the final analysis, entropy is a necessary evil, since the alternative would be stasis.

Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? Would Einstein agree with this?

Space news on Phys.org
You bring up a very interesting connection between time and expansion, they have nothing to do with entropy (as far as I can tell however). More importantly, entropy is definitely not a force.

Thanks for you comment. I agree that entropy is not a force. However, i do not believe it is a coincidence that time/space and entropy appeared at the same time.

Entropy, i believe, is an intrinsic property of time space.

Entropy is a property of matter/energy distributions, which are innately connected to space-time; I still think you're making an unjustified connection however.

everything and space-time appeared at the same time... so its both not a coincidence for anything, and also not a convincing argument.

Godofgamblers said:
Thus, in the final analysis, entropy is a necessary evil, since the alternative would be stasis.

Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? Would Einstein agree with this?

Yes. I read someone come up with this idea in a paper I read, but unfortunately I forgot the author.

My guess is that Einstein would not have liked the argument since he seemed to want a static universe. But they again, he was wrong about a lot of things, so what he would have thought of the idea seems rather irrelevant.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a concept in thermodynamics that describes the tendency for systems to move towards a state of maximum disorder.

2. How does entropy relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that in any isolated system, there will always be a tendency towards disorder and randomness.

3. Can entropy be reversed?

Technically, yes, but it would require an input of energy and effort. In a closed system, entropy will always increase, but in an open system, it is possible to decrease entropy in one part of the system by increasing it in another.

4. How does entropy affect living organisms?

Living organisms are constantly fighting against entropy by using energy to maintain order and structure within their bodies. Without this constant effort, the organism would succumb to the natural tendency towards disorder and eventually die.

5. What are the implications of entropy for the universe?

The concept of entropy has important implications for the eventual fate of the universe. As entropy continues to increase, the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum disorder, known as the "heat death" of the universe.