What is the explanation for the complex logarithms function title?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary: So your final answer is this:In summary, Homework Equations state that x=-2 when trying to solve for y. Adding 2 pi n to the equation solves for y correctly.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

When was trying to solve this problem
cos(x)=-2 I got the following answers
i ln(2 +/- sqrt(3)) + 2 pi n
n set of integers positive and negative
now I was told by a couple of people on here to add 2 pi n to my solution because before it didn't have it. At the time I didn't understand why but now I do. All I did was simply think about it as an angle and hence adding multiples of 2 pi n give valid solutions but what I don't understand is why does
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(i^((2x)/pi)+i^((-2x)/pi))/(2)=-2
give me the solutions of
x = 2 pi n + pi - i log(2 +/- sqrt(3) ), n set of positive and negative integers ?
Now please understand I get that there are an infinite number of solutions. I completely understand this. This is the reason why when we define a function as a mathematical formula or representation that only has one output value for each input value of it's domain is false, correct? The complex logarithm is a completley valid function. So I understand there are an infinite amount of solutions I just don't understand were that other pi came from or the -i. I was woundering if somebody cuold please explain this to me. Thank You!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody please help?

You got your answer wrong. The inverse of cos(y)=x is

[tex]y=\frac{log\left(x\pm\sqrt{x^2-1}\right)}{i}[/tex]

Can you spot your mistakes? There are two.

Iw asn't dong the inverse of cosine though sorry I forgot to mention it I was doing this

cos(x)=-2

so you don't have that domain restriction correct?

and I have no idea were that equation came from... also it's not normal to divide by i right

GreenPrint said:
and I have no idea were that equation came from... also it's not normal to divide by i right

I actually messed it up and was fixing it when you posted.

The domain restriction doesn't apply here, and dividing by i is just multiplying by -i... it's necessary.

ok well unforunatley i don't know were the mistakes are =(...

GreenPrint said:
ok well unforunatley i don't know were the mistakes are =(...

First, you multiplied by i instead of -i.

Second, the 2 in your answer should be a -2.

After a bit of playing with logarithmic properties, I managed to turn one of the answers into W-A's answer.

Tahnk youu

still need help

Ok well wolfram's answer was this
x = 2 pi n + pi -i log(2-sqrt(3)), n element Z
and
x = 2 pi n + pi -i log(2+sqrt(3)), n element Z

now when i solved it I got this for my answers
x = iln(2+3^.5) + 2 pi n
and
iln(2-3^.5) + 2 pi n

the two is not negative and I still don't know where that other pi came from in wolfram's answer can you please help

GreenPrint said:
still need help

Ok well wolfram's answer was this
x = 2 pi n + pi -i log(2-sqrt(3)), n element Z
and
x = 2 pi n + pi -i log(2+sqrt(3)), n element Z

now when i solved it I got this for my answers
x = iln(2+3^.5) + 2 pi n
and
iln(2-3^.5) + 2 pi n

the two is not negative and I still don't know where that other pi came from in wolfram's answer can you please help

Well, let's start with my answer, given by my inverse formula for cos(x)...

[tex]i\left(-log\left(-2\pm\sqrt{3}\right)\right)[/tex]

Now if you factor the -1 out of the inside and then use the rule [itex]alog(b)=log(b^a)[/itex], you get this:

[tex]ilog\left(\frac{-1}{2\pm\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

Which after using the rule [itex]log\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)=log(a)-log(b)[/itex] becomes...

[tex]ilog(-1)-ilog(2\pm\sqrt{3})[/tex]

From there it's just recognizing that [itex]ilog(-1)=-\pi=\pi+2\pi n[/itex] for n=-1, an integer.

What is a Comlex Logarithms Question?

A Comlex Logarithms Question is a type of mathematical problem that involves manipulating logarithmic expressions and solving for unknown variables. These questions are commonly found in advanced math courses and are used to test a student's understanding of logarithmic functions.

How do you solve a Comlex Logarithms Question?

To solve a Comlex Logarithms Question, you must first simplify the logarithmic expression by using logarithm properties and rules. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to understand the properties of logarithms and how to manipulate them in order to solve these types of questions.

What are some common properties of logarithms?

Some common properties of logarithms include the Product Rule, Quotient Rule, and Power Rule. The Product Rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The Quotient Rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The Power Rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the exponent and the logarithm of the base.

Why are Comlex Logarithms Questions important?

Comlex Logarithms Questions are important because they help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These types of questions require students to apply their knowledge of logarithmic functions and properties in order to solve complex problems. Additionally, understanding logarithmic functions is essential in fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What are some tips for solving Comlex Logarithms Questions?

Some tips for solving Comlex Logarithms Questions include thoroughly understanding logarithmic properties and rules, practicing different types of problems, and checking your work. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and to double-check your calculations to avoid making mistakes.