Comments on Insights: BBCode Issues on Wordpress Site

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ygggdrasil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    insights
In summary, there are some bugs with the comments on the Insight articles, particularly with the display of BBCode and signing in on the Insights page. However, it seems that these issues can be resolved by signing in on the main PF page or using the "Discuss in the Community" button. Some users have also reported trouble voting on articles, possibly due to browser settings or the recent upgrade to Windows 10.
Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
For the Insight articles, I noticed that the comments on the Wordpress side of the site do not correctly process BBCode written on the forum side of the site. For example, see some of the later comments on https://www.physicsforums.com/insig...s/when-did-mitochondria-evolve/"]mitochondria-evolve/[/URL]

The url tags are showing on the Wordpress site, which messes up the hyperlink.

Likes jim mcnamara and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks, I'll report it to the bridge dev
Re bugs in Insight comments, I have been unable to comment on any Insight articles because the blog erroneously thinks I am not signed in, even though I signed into PF as usual. Is there something extra I have to do? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? (I am using the Chrome browser.)

trilobite said:
Re bugs in Insight comments, I have been unable to comment on any Insight articles because the blog erroneously thinks I am not signed in, even though I signed into PF as usual. Is there something extra I have to do? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? (I am using the Chrome browser.)

If you sign in on the insights page, does it keep you signed in?

Drakkith said:
If you sign in on the insights page, does it keep you signed in?
I don't see a place to sign in on the Insights page. There's a place to "register," but that asks you to enter info for a new account. In fact, if I have already signed in on the main PF page, the "register" option on the Insights page doesn't do anything, at all. I've tried first going to Insights, then to PF to sign in, then back to Insights, but Insights still doesn't recognize me -- or at least won't let me vote or comment.

trilobite said:
I don't see a place to sign in on the Insights page.

You appear to be correct. I logged out and now I do not see a place to login at. This also logs me out of the forums. This is probably something @Greg Bernhardt would have to look into.

Drakkith said:
You appear to be correct. I logged out and now I do not see a place to login at. This also logs me out of the forums. This is probably something @Greg Bernhardt would have to look into.
Okay, thanks.

Actually, I just discovered that the "Discuss in the Community" button at the end of an Insights article gives me access to the comments. That resolves my main concern. (I still can't figure out how to vote on the article, though.)

trilobite said:
(I still can't figure out how to vote on the article, though.

I believe you just click on the stars that show up at the top. I just did that on an insights article and it saved my vote.

Drakkith said:
I believe you just click on the stars that show up at the top. I just did that on an insights article and it saved my vote.
That doesn't work for me, for some reason. Clicking on a star does nothing, at all. It does seem that Insights "forgets" I'm signed in. Maybe it's some sort of browser setting that I have??

trilobite said:
That doesn't work for me, for some reason. Clicking on a star does nothing, at all. It does seem that Insights "forgets" I'm signed in. Maybe it's some sort of browser setting that I have??

I say you just delete windows. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I have no idea. :sorry:

Maybe it's because I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Wouldn't be surprised. :cool:

trilobite said:
Maybe it's because I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Wouldn't be surprised. :cool:

In that case your computer was already nuked from orbit. Sorry for your loss... :biggrin:

1. What is BBCode and why is it important for a Wordpress site?

BBCode, short for Bulletin Board Code, is a lightweight markup language used for formatting content on websites. It allows users to add simple formatting, such as bold or italic text, to their comments or posts without needing to know HTML. In the case of a Wordpress site, BBCode is important because it provides an easy way for users to format their comments and make them stand out.

2. What are some common issues with BBCode on a Wordpress site?

One common issue with BBCode on a Wordpress site is that it may not be supported by all themes or plugins. This can result in BBCode tags appearing as plain text instead of being rendered as intended. Another issue is that some users may not be familiar with BBCode and may accidentally use incorrect tags, causing formatting errors.

3. How can I fix BBCode issues on my Wordpress site?

To fix BBCode issues on a Wordpress site, you can first check if the theme or plugin you are using supports BBCode. If it does not, you can either switch to a different theme or find a plugin that adds BBCode support. If the issue is caused by incorrect BBCode tags, you can educate your users on the proper usage of BBCode or use a plugin that automatically corrects common BBCode errors.

4. Are there any alternatives to BBCode for formatting comments on a Wordpress site?

Yes, there are alternatives to BBCode for formatting comments on a Wordpress site. One popular alternative is Markdown, which uses simple text formatting syntax to create HTML. Another option is to use a visual editor plugin, which allows users to format their comments using a WYSIWYG interface similar to a word processor.

5. Can I disable BBCode on my Wordpress site?

Yes, you can disable BBCode on your Wordpress site by using a plugin or editing your site's code. However, keep in mind that this may affect the appearance of existing comments that use BBCode, and it may also limit the formatting options for your users. It is recommended to inform your users before disabling BBCode and provide alternative options for formatting their comments.