Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Commission on Vaccination Safety and Scientific Integrity

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    Robert Kennedy Jr. has been offered and has accepted the chairmanship of Trump's Commission on Immunization Safety and Scientific Integrity. Trump has stated his concern for the side effects of vaccinations in the past. The inclusion of scientific integrity in this commission is particularly troubling. What does this mean? Kennedy is extremely outspoken on his position that vaccinations cause autism claiming 20 million children have autism due to vaccinations. The incoming administration continues to reflect a suspicion of the scientific community.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

This is deeply troubling on multiple fronts. Not the least of which is this commission gives an official stamp of approval to a view (widely discredited within the scientific and medical communities) that vaccinations cause autism. I can only imagine what impact such a commission may have on vaccination rates for infectious diseases, which can be serious for children and adults with compromised immune systems.

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    Does anyone have any insight on exactly what power this commission has?

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/robert-fkennedy-jr-donald-trump-republicans/2016/08/11/id/743236/

All kinds of Republicans have backpedaled on their former harsh criticisms of Trump in exchange for him supporting their pet agendas. This is the first time I've seen a Democrat make an allegiance with the "dark angels" for that purpose. It's doubly disturbing that the pet agenda here is crackpottery.

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    I'm confused, who makes money from anti-vaxxers? When the GOP said smoking won't cause cancer, it was because the tobacco company would lose money. When they said marijuana causes communism, it was because the lumber companies would lose money. When they still say that humans aren't affecting the climates, it's because oil is still profitable. Usually when they flat out reject science, it's usually because they've been paid to. And since when has crackpottery stopped anything? Aren't the GOP still fighting to prevent millions of Americans from getting married because their imaginary friend said it wasn't okay like two thousand years ago?

7. Jan 10, 2017 #6
    Could this have been the impetus for this commission? "CDC Scientists Expose Agency Corruption"

Among other indictments from the article:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  8. Jan 10, 2017 #7
    Interesting, I just read up on Dr Thompson. Seems he had a poor understanding of the scientific method, and was misinterpreting data. According to what I'm seeing, all of the conclusions that he came to were from cherry-picked data. Negative data seems to just be noise. Looks like he was also upset that large numbers of studies did not include research into autism, which was simply because there was no credible evidence for it. He also seems to have no understanding of peer review, how is this guy a doctor?

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2...ompson-appears-to-have-gone-full-antivaccine/

9. Jan 10, 2017 #8
    Who makes money from vaccines is the question. for MMRV it is Merck. for other childhood vaccines GlaxoSmithKline, sanofli, and others. What rings out to me is what do companies do when they discover a problem with a product after many years in the market place?

10. Jan 10, 2017 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I have worked for years in the pharma industry, and part of the responsibility of pharma companies, according to the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) -- a project that brings together the regulatory authorities of the US, European Union, and Japan -- is to conduct routine pharmacovigilance (i.e. safety monitoring) for those drugs that have already been approved. If there are any concerns about specific safety risks, pharma companies may also be required to conduct separate post-marketing clinical trials (commonly referred to as Phase 4 trials), to determine if there are safety problems.

It's during these periods that any potential problems could (or should) be identified. Of course, we are aware of pharma companies who have either withheld key safety information on their products or suppressed information on the safety risks of their drugs (e.g. Vioxx). But the point I'm getting at is that the pharma industry is among the most rigorously regulated industries out there, and it's not credible to believe that every childhood vaccine out there could have such large safety risks as autism (as some anti-vaxx people believe), since there is no credible evidence to suggest such.

11. Jan 10, 2017 #10
    I think Trump's claim is that children get too many vaccines over a short period.

12. Jan 10, 2017 #11
    I think his claim is based on one very specific shot that contains a number of vaccines at once.

I'm not even sure there's been discredited work that shows vaccines themselves cause autism. The complaint I've always seen is about the preservative.

13. Jan 10, 2017 #12
    Mercury?

14. Jan 10, 2017 #13

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The main discredited claim (which has bolstered the anti-vaxx movement, from what I gather) is the fraudulent 1998 research paper by Dr. Andrew Wakefield which purported to show a link between the administration of the MMR (mumps, measles, rubella) vaccine and autism and bowel disease.

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452.full

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

The issue you mentioned about the preservative was with respect to thimerosol (or thiomersal), which is an organomercury compound used as an established antiseptic and antifungal agent. It had been an additive in some childhood vaccines, but there has been no evidence of any toxic effect within vaccines (thimerosol can be toxic when inhaled or ingested). However, the CDC asked vaccine makers to remove thimerosol from vaccines as a purely pre-cautionary measure. As it turns out, that was an overreaction. See the Wikipedia article below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal

15. Jan 10, 2017 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Trump doesn't follow such rules of being a politician. My perception is that he's driving this issue because he believes it -- which is probably more dangerous.

16. Jan 11, 2017 #15
    The intent of this thread was not to call attention to a prominent democrat cooperating with a republican program nor to discuss the fact or fallacy of a vaccine link to autism. The inclusion of scientific integrity in the title of the commission begs the question of the trustworthiness of scientifc investigations or the veracity of the scientists. It is my concern that the incoming administration's suspicious attitude toward science may have reprocussions. This commission sounds more like an inqusition rather than an mere inquiry or am I overreacting?

17. Jan 11, 2017 #16

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

While I don't discount the possibility that Trump genuinely believes it about vaccines, it's just as possible that he maybe driving this issue for self-serving reasons, given his tendency towards attention-seeking, and/or his perception that his core base of supporters may jump on this issue.

18. Jan 11, 2017 #17
    I'm not sure that is actually the title of the commission. It may just be a tentative description of what Trump wants it to cover.
    It seems to me that, if you place someone at the head of an "inquiry" who has already made it publicly known they are sure the suspects are guilty, it would be unrealistic to expect they have a chance of being exonerated.

19. Jan 11, 2017 #18

nsaspook

Science Advisor

In this crazy news cycle who knows what or who to believe.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/robert-f-kennedy-jr-donald-trump-vaccine-commission/
    Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. sounds a little, out of order.

20. Jan 11, 2017 #19
    I think news orgs need to slow down. There is such pressure to be the first to break a story that mistakes are made.

21. Jan 11, 2017 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Worth an echo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted