What Happens to Angular Velocity When Two Unequal Wheels Touch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two rotating wheels with different angular velocities that are brought into contact with each other on a common x and y plane. The concept of angular momentum conservation is brought up and used to calculate the angular velocity of the second wheel. However, the question of how to obtain a common angular velocity arises, with the understanding that the linear velocities of the wheels will not necessarily be the same. The relationship between tangential (linear) and angular velocity is discussed, with the conclusion that ω=v/r. The conversation ends with a question about the outcome of two wheels in contact with different linear velocities.
KiNGGeexD
This is more a question of understanding than physics:)

I have two rotating wheels each with a given radius and a given mass, if one is rotating with an angular velocity and the other is stationary and the stationary one is brought into contact with the rotating one what is the common angular velocity? Ohhh also I didn't mention it is probably obvious but they are on a common x and y plane:)

So the first thing I noticed was that angular momentum is conserved in the system! So using the given mass and radius and angular velocity I calculated an angular momentum (before)

And I used this momentum to calculate the angular velocity of the second one?

But my question is how do I get the "common" angular velocity!

Because when I use the above method the angular velocity of the second one comes out to be larger than the first which is understandable because it has a smaller mass hence smaller inertia but I am not sure I know how to obtain a common velocity?Any help would be great thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org
They will not necessarily have the same angular velocity. However, at the point of their contact they will have... what linear velocity?

Well yea if they have angular velocity they have tangential velocity don't they?
But I don't see how the linear velocity is related to calculating the common angular velocity?:)

What is the relationship between tangential (linear) and angular velocity of a wheel?

Well v=rω

So ω=v/r :)

How about answering the question in #2?

Form my method in the original question I would have

v(1)=5.236
v(2)=13.09

I'm not sure about units as angular velocity is in rad/s?

would linear velocity still be in m/s?

But those are the respective linear velocities

So imagine two wheels in contact with each other. Going at different linear velocities. What would happen next?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factors that affect angular velocity are the distance from the center of rotation, the size of the rotation, and the time it takes to complete one rotation. Other factors may include friction, air resistance, and external forces.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the time it takes to complete that change. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the distance from the center of rotation.

5. Why is angular velocity important?

Angular velocity is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects that are rotating, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.