Common-Base Config: Alpha & IB Formula

• Thread starter Agent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a transistor and the values of Ie, Ic, and Ib. The individual is unsure of the formula for IB and is stuck on part A of the question. They are advised to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and determine the currents entering and leaving the transistor. It is also noted that the value of alpha should be around .9-1.
Agent
Hey, I'm currently stuck with this question. There are several parts to this question.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8480/questionscj3.png

I know alpha should be around .9-1 but I don't think I know the formula for IB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agent said:
Hey, I'm currently stuck with this question. There are several parts to this question.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8480/questionscj3.png

I know alpha should be around .9-1 but I don't think I know the formula for IB.
In part A) Ie = 4 and and Ic = 3.992

What does Ib have to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use KCL for the transistor. What are the currents entering and leaving it.

1. What is the common-base configuration?

The common-base configuration is a type of transistor circuit in which the base terminal of the transistor is used as the input, while the collector and emitter terminals are the output. This configuration is commonly used in amplifiers and switches.

2. What is the purpose of the alpha (α) formula in common-base configuration?

The alpha formula, also known as the current gain factor, is used to calculate the ratio of output current to input current in a common-base configuration. It helps determine the amplification capabilities of the circuit.

3. How is the alpha (α) value related to the gain of a common-base configuration?

The alpha value is directly related to the gain of a common-base configuration. The higher the alpha value, the higher the gain of the circuit. A high alpha value indicates that the circuit is able to amplify the input signal with a small change in base current.

4. What is the significance of the IB formula in common-base configuration?

The IB formula is used to calculate the base current of a transistor in a common-base configuration. This information is important for determining the operating point of the transistor and ensuring that it is functioning within its safe operating range.

5. How does the common-base configuration compare to other transistor configurations?

The common-base configuration offers several advantages over other configurations, such as high input impedance, low output impedance, and good stability. However, it also has a lower current gain compared to other configurations, making it less suitable for high-power applications.