Proof of Common Divisor of Relatively Prime Integers

• Thread starter scottstapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, this person is trying to prove that if a and b are integers not both zero, then a and b are relatively prime. They are given the definition that if gcd(a,b)=1, then a and b are said to be relatively prime. They are trying to prove this by proving that there exists a common divisor of a and b such that 1= knx+Lny where k and L are integers. If d|a and d|b, then d|ax+by, which implies that d|1. They are missing one step in their proof and are looking for help from someone who is more experienced.
scottstapp
Hello I have the following proposition to prove.

Prop. Let a,b be integers. If 1 is a linear combination of a and b, then a and b are relatively prime.

I am given the following definition.
Let a and b be integers, not both zero. If gcd(a,b)=1, then a and b are said to be relatively prime. Notice that the only common divisors of relatively prime integers are 1 and -1.

My work so far:

(1) Let a,b be integers.
(2) By definition of linear combination there exist integers x,y such that 1=ax+by.
(3) Because 1 is a common divisor of a,b then 1 must be the gcd(a,b)
(4)Therefore a and b are relatively prime

I need help on (3), I know that I am missing some steps and logic but I am not sure what to do. Am I approaching this correctly? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If n (>1) is a common divisor of a and b, then n divides ax+by, but ax+by=1 and n cannot divide 1.

mathman said:
If n (>1) is a common divisor of a and b, then n divides ax+by, but ax+by=1 and n cannot divide 1.

Would I incorporate this by saying that there exists a common divisor, call it n where n>1, of a and b such that 1= knx+Lny where k and L are integers. so 1=n(kx+Ly). Obviously n cannot divide one, is this saying that therefore the gcd(a,b)=1? Therefore a and b are relatively prime?

Thank you.

Does anyone know if this is the correct proof:

(1) Let a,b be integers.
(2) By definition of linear combination there exist integers x,y such that 1=ax+by.
(3) there exists a common divisor, call it n where n>1, of a and b such that 1= knx+Lny where k and L are integers. so 1=n(kx+Ly)
(4)From (3) gcd(a,b)=1
(4)Therefore a and b are relatively prime

Thanks

anyone?

No, the correct proof would be:

Hipothesis: let a and b be integers, not both zero, such that there are x,y, also integers, such that ax + by = 1.

(1) Any common divisor of a and b must also be a divisor of any linear integer combination af a and b.

(2) Therefore, if d|a and d|b, then d|ax+by, which implies that d|1.

(3) If d is a positive common divisor, then d = 1; in particular gcd(a,b) = 1.

Hopefully, this is will be the last time anyone spells out a proof for you in a non-homework section!

Thanks for the help, I am new to the site. Maybe next time you could simply point me in the right direction of where to post instead of getting angry.

1. What is the definition of "relatively prime" integers?

Relatively prime integers are two numbers that have no common factors besides 1. In other words, their greatest common divisor (GCD) is equal to 1.

2. How do you prove that two integers are relatively prime?

To prove that two integers are relatively prime, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find their GCD. If the GCD is equal to 1, then the integers are relatively prime.

3. Can two prime numbers be relatively prime?

Yes, two prime numbers are always relatively prime because their only common factor is 1.

4. What is the relationship between relatively prime integers and coprime numbers?

Relatively prime integers and coprime numbers are essentially the same thing. They both refer to two numbers that have no common factors besides 1.

5. How can the proof of common divisor of relatively prime integers be applied in real life?

The concept of relatively prime integers is often used in cryptography to ensure the security of encrypted messages. It is also used in the field of number theory to study the properties of integers and their relationships.