Understanding the Physics Behind Common Emitter Transistors

The main difference is the common-base current gain (for common-base, input current is base current, output current is collector current), which is lower than the common-emitter current gain (for common-emitter, input current is base current, output current is collector current)In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the common emitter and common base configurations in a npn transistor. The speaker is struggling to understand why the collector current increases when the base current is increased, and is seeking clarification on this issue. A recommended article and book are mentioned for further information on the topic. The main difference between the two configurations is the common-base current gain, which is lower than the common-emitter current gain.
Garoll
Hello,

I would like to ask someone to explain me the basic physics of the common emitter configuration.
With the common base configuration i am understanding all the processes with holes and electrons in the npn transistor perfectly.
In the common emitter configuration i can`t understand why the collector current is increasing when we increase the base current. My logic leads me to the fact that when the base current is increased there should be more recombination in the base with electrons from the emitter and the collector current should decrease, but it is exactly the opposite.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Absolutely nothing actually changes in terms of bias (all common-X are linear bias) or physical operation of the BJT itself.

The big difference in the resultant terminal-to-terminal gain and impedance seen that result from the *topological* difference of connections.

What is a common emitter transistor?

A common emitter transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that has its emitter terminal connected to ground, while the collector and base terminals are used for input and output signals, respectively. It is one of the most commonly used configurations of a BJT, and it is known for its high current gain and high input impedance.

How does a common emitter transistor work?

A common emitter transistor works by using a small current at the base terminal to control a larger current flow between the collector and emitter terminals. This is achieved by the transistor's ability to amplify the input signal based on the flow of electrons from the emitter to the collector. The base current acts as a switch, allowing or inhibiting the flow of electrons through the transistor.

What is the purpose of a common emitter transistor?

The main purpose of a common emitter transistor is to amplify a weak input signal to a larger output signal. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as a switch, amplifier, or voltage regulator. It is also used in amplifiers for audio and radio frequency signals, as well as in digital logic circuits.

What are the advantages of using a common emitter transistor?

One of the main advantages of using a common emitter transistor is its high current gain, which allows for efficient amplification of weak signals. It also has a wide range of applications and can be easily integrated into electronic circuits. Additionally, common emitter transistors are relatively inexpensive and have a simple design, making them a popular choice in the field of electronics.

What are the limitations of a common emitter transistor?

Some limitations of common emitter transistors include their sensitivity to temperature changes, which can affect their performance. They also have a relatively high noise level, which can impact the quality of the amplified signal. Additionally, common emitter transistors have a limited frequency range, making them less suitable for high-frequency applications.