Why Does a Block Accelerate Even When Forces Are Equal?

In summary: I apply a force on a block and it moves.but for physics you need to think this way: I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates (no friction case).in the real world with friction: I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates to some constant speed because the frictional force increases with increasing speed and opposes the force I am applying.common layman's usage is: A block will move
mr newtein
two blocks are connected by string if i pull a block,then block(it will transmit force) will also pull string then,string will also pull block (a& r pairs)forces on block are by me and by string of equal magnitude than why is block accelerating

Physics news on Phys.org
mr newtein said:
two blocks are connected by string if i pull a block,then block(it will transmit force) will also pull string then,string will also pull block (a& r pairs)forces on block are by me and by string of equal magnitude than why is block accelerating
The force from the string on the block is not necessarily equal to your force on the block.

common layman's usage is:

I apply a force on a block and it moves.

but for physics you need to think this way:

I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates (no friction case).

in the real world with friction:

I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates to some constant
speed because the frictional force increases with increasing speed and opposes the
force I am applying.

jedishrfu said:
common layman's usage is:

I apply a force on a block and it moves.

but for physics you need to think this way:

I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates (no friction case).

in the real world with friction:

I apply a force (f=ma) on a block of mass m and it accelerates to some constant
speed because the frictional force increases with increasing speed and opposes the
force I am applying.

i am not getting it

nasu said:
The force from the string on the block is not necessarily equal to your force on the block.

why? it because,the block may not transferring all force i am applying.

1. What is a force in mechanics?

A force in mechanics is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change its motion.

2. What are the common types of forces in mechanics?

The common types of forces in mechanics include gravity, friction, tension, normal force, and applied force.

3. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction and speed.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to forces?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass does not change, but an object's weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

5. How can we calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on the object in the same direction and subtracting the forces acting in the opposite direction.