Common Ion Effect: pH Change for LiF, KI & NH4Cl

• Thread starter tribalman100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the addition of LiF to an HF solution increases pH, the addition of KI to an HI solution does not affect pH, and the addition of NH4Cl to an NH3 solution decreases pH. These observations can be explained by the principles of Le Chatelier's principle.
tribalman100

Homework Statement

does the ph increase , decrease or remain the same on addition of each of the folling
a) LiF to an HF Solution
B) KI to an HI solution
C) NH4Cl to an NH3 solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the equations and the answers to these i just want to know the reason so i can do it next time on why Lif ph increases, Ki's remains the same and that NH4Cl's decreases . it would be a great help and this explanation might save my chemistry grade. thanks for the help guys

Physics news on Phys.org
These are all applications of Le Chatelier's principle.
a) HF is a weak acid, so in water, the dissociation is incomplete:
$$HF \rightleftharpoons H^+ + F^-$$
Adding LiF to the solution increases the concentration of F- ions, which shifts the HF equilibrium to the left. This indicates a decrease in [H+], and therefore an increase in pH.

b) HI is a strong acid in water, so it dissociates completely, meaning that adding the common I- ion via KI doesn't affect the pH.

c) NH3 is a weak base. It reacts with water in an equilibrium:
$$NH_3 + H_2O \rightleftharpoons NH_4^+ + OH^-$$
Adding NH4Cl pushes the equilibrium to the left, decreasing OH- concentration and consequently decreasing pH.

1. How does the common ion effect impact the pH of a solution containing LiF, KI, or NH4Cl?

The common ion effect refers to the decrease in solubility of a salt when it is dissolved in a solution that already contains one of its constituent ions. In the case of LiF, KI, and NH4Cl, the common ion (Li+, K+, and NH4+) will decrease the solubility of the respective salts, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of F-, I-, and Cl- ions. This decrease in concentration will lead to a decrease in the pH of the solution, as these ions are capable of reacting with water to produce acidic or basic solutions.

2. Can the common ion effect be used to control the pH of a solution?

Yes, the common ion effect can be used to control the pH of a solution. By adding a salt containing the common ion, the solubility of the other salt will decrease, thereby reducing the concentration of the ions that contribute to pH changes. This can be particularly useful in the production of pharmaceuticals or in laboratory experiments where precise pH control is necessary.

3. How does the strength of the common ion affect the pH change in a solution?

The strength of the common ion can greatly impact the pH change in a solution. A stronger common ion, such as Li+, will have a greater effect on decreasing the solubility of the other salt and therefore a larger impact on the pH. On the other hand, a weaker common ion, such as NH4+, will have a lesser effect on the pH change.

4. What other factors can influence the common ion effect on pH?

Aside from the strength of the common ion, other factors that can influence the common ion effect on pH include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions in the solution. These factors can alter the solubility of the salt and therefore impact the concentration of ions in the solution.

5. Are there any practical applications of the common ion effect?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the common ion effect. In addition to controlling pH in solutions, it is also utilized in the purification of water by adding salts that contain common ions to precipitate out impurities. It is also used in the production of fertilizers, where the common ion effect is used to control the release of nutrients into the soil.