Calculating Concentrations in a Saturated Solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2

• Thread starter sergey_le
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the conversation is about finding the concentrations of Ca and OH in a saturated solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2. The pH value was tested and found to be 12.43, indicating an OH concentration of 0.027M. The question is how to calculate the concentration of Ca in the solution. The conversation refers to a lab report from a year ago which used the OH saturation ratio of 1:2 to calculate the Ca concentration. However, the approach in the report is incorrect as it does not take into account the Ksp of Ca(OH)2. The correct approach to calculating the concentration of Ca in the solution is not mentioned.
sergey_le
Summary:: finding concetrations

[Thread moved from the technical forums]

i did a lab experiment and I'm a little confused about what i should do.

i got a solution of CaCl(2) 1.5 gr and Ca(OH)2 5gr in 100ml that i prepared 2 weeks ahead
. after filttering the solution i got a saturated solution of CaCl(2) +Ca(OH)2.i tested the pH of it.(it is 12.43)

from the Ph value i got that OH concetration is 0.027M. the next quetion i need to answer is whet is the concentration of Ca. so i was seeing a lab report from a year ago, and to calculate the Ca consentration they first used the OH saturation (1:2) ratio. so 0.027/2=0.0135M. after that they calculated the amount of Ca from the CaCl(2) salt (1.5gr/110.98(gr/mol)=0.0137m/0.1l) which is 0.137M. they concluded that the ca consentration is 0.137+0.0135M.

i don't understand why. we calculate the consentration for a saturated solution, so there are no Ca ions from the CaCl(2) just floating and reacting...they already reacted and the axcess already sunk and turned to a solid, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, doesn't look like a correct approach to me.

Hint: what is the Ksp of Ca(OH)2?

Borek said:
Nope, doesn't look like a correct approach to me.

Hint: what is the Ksp of Ca(OH)2?
my approach is wrong or the one in the lasts year lab report?

Sorry, report approach looks wrong.

Technically you just expressed your concerns but never stated what would be your approach to calculations :smile:

What is the formula for calculating concentrations in a saturated solution of CaCl(2)?

The formula for calculating the concentration of a saturated solution of CaCl(2) is:
Concentration (g/L) = (mass of CaCl(2) in grams) / (volume of solution in liters).

How do I determine the concentration of Ca(OH)2 in a saturated solution?

To determine the concentration of Ca(OH)2 in a saturated solution, you can use the following formula:
Concentration (g/L) = 2 * (mass of Ca(OH)2 in grams) / (volume of solution in liters).

What is the solubility of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2 in water?

The solubility of CaCl(2) in water is approximately 74.5 g/100 mL at room temperature. The solubility of Ca(OH)2 in water is approximately 0.18 g/100 mL at room temperature.

Can I calculate the concentration of a saturated solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2 using molarity?

Yes, you can calculate the concentration of a saturated solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2 using molarity. Molarity is defined as moles of solute per liter of solution. To convert from grams to moles, you can use the molar mass of each compound.

What factors can affect the concentration of a saturated solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2?

The temperature, pressure, and presence of other solutes can affect the concentration of a saturated solution of CaCl(2) and Ca(OH)2. Additionally, the solubility of these compounds can also be affected by the pH of the solution.