Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common Law Doctorate?

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    Hello, I'm not sure if this would be the right sub-forum for this question, but perhaps someone could help me out. Forgive my naivete, but i have no idea what "common law doctorate" means. I have seen an ostensibly flakey individual who goes by the alias of "starship1" in several science forums, who claims to hold many common law doctorates, or words to that effect. I have done several searches with different search engines, to find out what exactly this means, but I was left empty-handed. If anyone could tell me what a common law doctorate is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(For anyone interested, these are the things he talks about:)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It all looks like nonsense to me.
  4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    Hi, thank you for your response. I thought it looked pretty nonsensical as well, but I was wondering if a "common law doctorate" even exists?
  5. Oct 1, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so, but what you should do is to require proof that it does exist. Put the burden of proof on him. In other words, ask the poster to provide a link [such as a dot edu or dot gov] proving just what this "degree" really is. If it really is a degree, he can cite the college or agency that provides it and you can check with that college or agency. The information can be verified if he is being truthful.
  6. Oct 1, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

It's BS.

I was going to point out the errors this guy was making on even very basic things, but I see they've been pointed out and then some.
  7. Oct 2, 2004 #6
    Thanks for all your replies, and for your time in reading the links I posted. This answers my question.
  8. Oct 4, 2004 #7
    Well, 8 years ago me and my girlfriend at the time started dating. We've been living together for several years. If you can get a PHd in Common Law, I'd like to think we've earned it by now.
  9. Oct 4, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the very name should give it away: common law doctorate.

The government is not involved in conferring academic awards, so there cannot be any law concerning them in any way.

This person is probably implying something along the lines of I've read the books they use in colleges, so I deserve an automatic, implied degree. This is, of course, nonsense.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?