Understanding Component Functions in a Common Source Amplifier

In summary: It's also the most practical intro electronics book that I've ever seen."The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and HillIn summary, the conversation discusses the function of certain components in a common source amplifier, including capacitors, gate resistance, source resistance, and drain resistance. The purpose of these components is to limit current, reduce distortion, and control gain in the circuit. A finite input impedance is also important for efficient signal transfer and to reduce distortion in the amplifier. The conversation also includes a question about finding the value of a bypass capacitor in a common source amplifier design. The suggested resource for further understanding is the book "
Soilwork
Just out of interest guys have I got this right?

Function of certain components of a common source amplifier:

Capacitors at input and output: They are coupling capacitors and simply block the DC voltage, but allow the AC voltage through.

Gate Resistance: Is the purpose of this to limit the amount of current reaching the gate of the JFET??

Source resistance: This reduces the gain of the circuit, which thereby reduces distortion.

Drain resistance: Limits the maximum voltage gain?

I think that the source and capacitor explanations are right, but I'm not that sure about the Gate and Drain resistors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Soilwork said:
Just out of interest guys have I got this right?

Function of certain components of a common source amplifier:

Capacitors at input and output: They are coupling capacitors and simply block the DC voltage, but allow the AC voltage through.

Gate Resistance: Is the purpose of this to limit the amount of current reaching the gate of the JFET??

Source resistance: This reduces the gain of the circuit, which thereby reduces distortion.

Drain resistance: Limits the maximum voltage gain?

I think that the source and capacitor explanations are right, but I'm not that sure about the Gate and Drain resistors.

The Gate resistor provides a ground reference to the Gate. The source resistor provides a positive voltage to the source. The combination of those factors makes VGS < 0. This is a requirement for the functioning of the FET.
The source resistor really reduces the gain, but if this is undesirable you can bypass it with a large capacitor.
The drain resistor really is responsible for the gain. If your source resistor is not bypassed the gain is approximately [tex]A_V = \frac {R_D}{R_S}[/tex]. If it is bypassed the gain is approximately [tex]A_V = g_m R_D[/tex]

Cheers for that :)

Another question that I have been struggling finding an answer for is what effect a finite input impedance has on the response of an amplifier?

I mean I've been reading up on how to use op-amps and the differences between ideal and real, and can't find the reason for this one thing.
I did find somewhere that a finite input impedance puts an upper bound on the resistances in the feedback circuit...but how this effects the response of the amplifier I'm not sure.

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I'm new at this :(

They're not stupid questions by any means. I'd suggest that you take a look at the following book -- it's a really great intro electronics book that will answer a lot of your questions. It's also the most practical intro electronics book that I've ever seen.

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

Last edited by a moderator:
Soilwork said:
Cheers for that :)

Another question that I have been struggling finding an answer for is what effect a finite input impedance has on the response of an amplifier?

I mean I've been reading up on how to use op-amps and the differences between ideal and real, and can't find the reason for this one thing.
I did find somewhere that a finite input impedance puts an upper bound on the resistances in the feedback circuit...but how this effects the response of the amplifier I'm not sure.

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I'm new at this :(
A finite input impedance will be part of the feedback circuit.

ahh k so it will change the amount of feedback in the circuit.
Cheers :)

Thanks for the book suggestion. I will probably order it next week.

Also, the input impedance should be much higher than the source impedance (internal impedance of the source). This not only guarantees that the voltage signal to be amplified is efficiently transferred in a useable form to the amplifier inputs, but also is critically important for lowering distortion of the waveform. It works by limiting the current draw from the source which can distort the voltage waveform and affect frequency response as well. If the current varies significantly in the input loop including the source of the signal, you begin to affect the signal you are trying to measure.

When discussing 'impedance matching' in amplifier stages (especially audio), what is meant is keeping the input impedance of the next stage high enough not to affect the circuit behaviour and signal of the preceding stage. For high frequency applications, stray capacitance from physical layout and stage coupling becomes a dominant issue.

Last edited:
Rogue Physicist said:
Also, the input impedance should be much higher than the source impedance (internal impedance of the source). This not only guarantees that the voltage signal to be amplified is efficiently transferred in a useable form to the amplifier inputs, but also is critically important for lowering distortion of the waveform. It works by limiting the current draw from the source which can distort the voltage waveform and affect frequency response as well. If the current varies significantly in the input loop including the source of the signal, you begin to affect the signal you are trying to measure.

When discussing 'impedance matching' in amplifier stages (especially audio), what is meant is keeping the input impedance of the next stage high enough not to affect the circuit behaviour and signal of the preceding stage. For high frequency applications, stray capacitance from physical layout and stage coupling becomes a dominant issue.
I think you didn't understand clearly the post. Source here refers not to power source or signal source, but to the terminal of the FET called source.

Finding bypass capacitors in common source amplifier

Hi,
I am new to this website. I am having troubles in designing a common source amplifier with a voltage gain, Av=26 dB (no bypass capacitor) and a gain of 40 DB (with a bypass capacitor) and a frequency of 100-1000HZ. Can anyone please guide me to calculate the value of the bypass capacitor? I searched everywhere for the methods of finding the capacitors values but still in vain. :frown: :confused:
thank you very much for all your help.

thanks,
peace

berkeman said:
They're not stupid questions by any means. I'd suggest that you take a look at the following book -- it's a really great intro electronics book that will answer a lot of your questions. It's also the most practical intro electronics book that I've ever seen.

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

Hey I have that book! allthough i have not read it yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
peace_lp said:
Hi,
I am new to this website. I am having troubles in designing a common source amplifier with a voltage gain, Av=26 dB (no bypass capacitor) and a gain of 40 DB (with a bypass capacitor) and a frequency of 100-1000HZ. Can anyone please guide me to calculate the value of the bypass capacitor? I searched everywhere for the methods of finding the capacitors values but still in vain. :frown: :confused:
thank you very much for all your help.

thanks,
peace
Basically, the impedance of the bypass capacitor at the lowest operation frequency (100 Hz) should be much smaller than the resistance of the source resistor (generally 10 times smaller).
If you have the source resistor, you can calculate the capacitance.

What is a common source amplifier?

A common source amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies a signal by using a transistor in common source configuration. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers and signal processing circuits.

How does a common source amplifier work?

A common source amplifier works by using a transistor to amplify the input signal. The input signal is applied to the gate of the transistor, and the amplified output is taken from the drain. The source is connected to a fixed voltage, typically ground, and acts as a reference for the input and output signals.

What are the advantages of using a common source amplifier?

There are several advantages to using a common source amplifier, including high input impedance, high gain, and low output impedance. It also provides good frequency response and can be easily biased for linear operation.

What are the disadvantages of using a common source amplifier?

One of the main disadvantages of a common source amplifier is its susceptibility to noise, as the input signal is directly connected to the transistor’s gate. Another disadvantage is its limited output swing, which can affect the maximum output voltage.

How can I calculate the gain of a common source amplifier?

The gain of a common source amplifier can be calculated using the formula: Gain = -gm x RL, where gm is the transconductance of the transistor and RL is the load resistance. The transconductance can be found in the transistor’s datasheet, and the load resistance can be determined based on the circuit configuration.