Commpute probability in momentum space of particle in box (after walls are removed)

In summary, the particle is in a box of length 2a and suddenly the walls are removed. If you integrate the sine and exponential terms, you find that the particle has a probability of between p and p+dp. Energy is conserved.
Don'tKnowMuch

Homework Statement

A particle is initially in the nth eigenstate of a box of length 2a. Suddenly the walls of the box are completely removed. Calculate the probability to find that the particle has momentum between p and p + dp. Is energy conserved?

Homework Equations

solution for particle in a box of length L ---->
ψ(x)(sub n) = (2/L)^1/2*sin(n∏x/L)

Fourier Transform of momentum space ----->

ζ(p) = [ 1/(2∏h-bar)^(1/2) ]*∫ e^(-ipx/h-bar)*ψ(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need the probability that the particle is between p & (p+dp). So my plan was to put the ψ(x)(sub n) into the Fourier transform, and then square that to get the probability. My trouble lies in the integral. I am not sure how to compute it. Would the bounds of the integral be p to (p+dp)?

Physics news on Phys.org

you don't have to do the integral because the P[p+dp,p] = ζ^2(p)dp since ζ^2(p) is the probability density function

This is my understanding, there is a wave function in position space defined for a box of length 2a. This state of definite position is being projected onto a state which has deinfite momentum

ζ(p)^2 = 1/(2∏h-bar) *∫ e^(-ipx/h-bar)^2*( 1/(2a)*sin^2(n∏x/2a))dx

There's still an integral hanging around though. I feel like it needs to be integrated. If that were the case, would i change the sin(stuff) to an exponential and see what comes out?

Hi, in my opinion the computations you have proposed are right. It may be easier to write the exponential as cos+i sin and then use the formulae (from wikipedia :) to compute integrals like sin( ax) cos( bx) or sin( ax) sin( bx) .

Francesco

Looking at the sine term i can simplify the argument a little by setting...

k' = (n∏/2a)

making the sine term------> sin(k'x)

Looking at the exponential, i can say that...

p/h-bar = k

Putting these in the integral looks something like...

ζ(p) = 1/(2∏h-bar)^(1/2)*∫ e^(-ikx)*(1/2i)(e^ik'x-e^-ik'x) dx...

which simplifies to...

ζ(p) = (1/2i)*1/(2∏h-bar)^(1/2)*∫ e^(-ix(k' - k))-(e^-ix(k' + k)) dx...

I have been using every resource at my disposal to crack this one, and to no avail. I saw that the solution to this integral is a combination of delta functions, but i just can't put it together.

1. What is the momentum space of a particle in a box after the walls are removed?

The momentum space of a particle in a box refers to the distribution of possible momenta that the particle can have while confined within the boundaries of the box. After the walls are removed, the particle is free to move and therefore its momentum can take on any value within a certain range.

2. How does the momentum space change after the walls are removed?

After the walls are removed, the momentum space of the particle will expand to include a larger range of possible momenta. This is because the particle is no longer confined by the walls of the box and is free to move in any direction.

3. What factors affect the probability distribution in momentum space after the walls are removed?

The probability distribution in momentum space is affected by the size of the box, the mass of the particle, and the initial conditions of the particle's position and velocity. These factors determine the potential energy of the particle and therefore its momentum distribution.

4. How is the probability in momentum space related to the position of the particle?

The probability in momentum space is related to the position of the particle through the Fourier transform. This mathematical operation converts the wave function in position space to the momentum space, allowing us to calculate the probability of finding the particle with a particular momentum.

5. Can the probability in momentum space be calculated for a particle in a box with infinite boundaries?

Yes, the probability in momentum space can still be calculated for a particle in a box with infinite boundaries. In this case, the momentum space will have a continuous distribution of possible momenta, as opposed to a discrete distribution for a particle in a box with finite boundaries.