1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commuation Relation

1. May 10, 2003 #1
    Prove that if a periodic Hamiltonian operator commutes with the translation operator then these two operators can have simultaneous eigenstates.

{{ H(x) = H(x+a) }
    & { T(a)f(x) = f(x+a) }
    & { [T(a),H(x)] = 0 }
    }
    --> {{[uni][psi] [subset] complex functions, there exists [psi] [subset] complex functions
    such that { H(x)[psi](x) = E[psi](x) }
    & { T(a)[psi](x) = c(a)[psi](x) }
    }

Thanks dudes.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2003 #2
    is the periodic hamiltonian a harmonic oscillator function?

4. May 12, 2003 #3
    No it's independent of time. I mean that it is periodic in space... like a Bloch function.

V(x+a) = V(x)

Actually, I believe I figured out the answer, but if you guys want to post your answer that's cool too.

eNtRopY

5. May 14, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that's the problem? I ask because any two operators that commute can have simultaneous eigenstates; the "periodic" condition has nothing to do with it.

Methinks you are supposed to be finding an explicit expression for what exactly those eigenstates are.

In this case, |θ>=Σeinθ|n> (n goes from -[oo] to +[oo]) is an eigenstate of τ(a) with eigenvalue e-iθ.

This is from Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics pp. 261-263.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?