Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Communicating with a bird via mind

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Here's my second scientifically as of yet unexplainable experience:

There was a bird stuck between two panes of glass at my kitchen window. There was a small area where it got in, and it was flapping its wing like crazy flying all over the place in there, but wasn't smart enough to fly DOWN and then fly out. If you have ever seen birds get stuck between two things it usually flys UP, and has real hard time figuring out how to get out.

I didn't want to have to get a ladder and undo the outside window. Too much hassle. So I figured why not try something, and possibly save a lot of time.

I decided I would attempt to send this bird a message. In my mind I 'saw' the bird flying downward then out the slot it came in. I then mentally 'offered' this image to the bird as a friendly gesture. Immediately, the bird imitated the image I had 'sent' and flew down and out and away. I want to stress it had been flapping in there for at least a minute straight, and flew down and out instantly after I 'sent' the image.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

Hepth

Gold Member

Repeat the experiment a couple hundred times and show a positive result. Otherwise I chalk it up to coincidence + expectation.

Think about it this way, you would have thought the same thing if you had thought DOWN for 10 seconds before it ultimately flew down? Yes? 20 seconds? Yes. 30? 40?

Regardless of how long you thought about DOWN, eventually it was going to fly down. Whether immediate or after a short period, once you started picturing it, the chances the bird was going to fly out only increased and increased as it tired and exhausted its options.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    Ok, coincidence. That is the first possible debunking. Let's leave that one aside now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook