Communication system problem

In summary, the conversation was about solving an exercise from the book "Leon Couch, Communication Systems, 6th edition" which required the calculation of the required number of bits for each word in a PCM binary system. The formula for this calculation was given as N > log2(10)*log(50/P). The person tried to solve it using the given formula for signal-to-noise ratio, but ended up with a different result and was seeking clarification on where they went wrong.
Domenico94
Member advised to retain and use all sections of the formatting template.

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I was trying to solve an exercise from the book Leon couch, communication systems, number 3.7 of the 6th edition. This is the statement:
In a PCM binary system, the quantisation noise mustn t exceed the percentage value P of the peak power. Show that the required number of bit for each word is:

N> log2(10)*log(50/P).

I tried to solve it by applying this reasoning :
The s/n ratio is equal to 3M^2 for a PCM system. Then
If N<(p/100)*s, then s/n>(100/p). Then I solve it by passing to decibel, and making the logaritm, but I obtain something quite different, and I don t undestand where I was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone??

1. What is a communication system problem?

A communication system problem refers to any issue or malfunction that hinders the proper functioning of a communication system. This can include problems with transmitting or receiving signals, hardware issues, or software glitches.

2. How do communication system problems occur?

Communication system problems can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as technical faults, environmental factors, human error, or outdated equipment. They can also arise from external interference, network congestion, or compatibility issues.

3. What are the common types of communication system problems?

Some common types of communication system problems include poor signal strength, dropped calls or data, distorted audio or video, slow network speeds, and incorrect or incomplete data transmission. These problems can occur in any type of communication system, including telecommunication networks, internet connections, and wireless devices.

4. How can I troubleshoot a communication system problem?

To troubleshoot a communication system problem, you can start by checking the physical connections and settings of your equipment. You can also try restarting or resetting your devices, updating software or firmware, and checking for any known outages or maintenance in your area. If the problem persists, you may need to contact your service provider or a technician for further assistance.

5. How can communication system problems be prevented?

To prevent communication system problems, it is important to regularly maintain and update your equipment, use reliable and secure networks, and follow best practices for data transmission. It is also helpful to have a backup plan in case of any technical issues. Additionally, staying informed about any potential network disruptions or upgrades can also help prevent communication system problems.