Community College vs University: Comparing Experiences

• Schools
  • Thread starter LTME
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the individual plans to start classes at a community college this summer in order to fulfill pre-requisites for a Mechanical Engineering program. However, after talking to others, they are unsure if transferring to a university (PSU) is the best option. The individual has two main questions: 1) if anyone has transferred from a community college to a university and which environment they found better for learning, and 2) if employers care about where the first two years of college were completed. The individual is seeking input from those who have attended a community college before and any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
LTME
I will be starting classes this summer in a community college to pick up a few pre-reqs in order to start a Mechanical Engineering program. My original plan was to transfer to a four year university (PSU) as soon as possible, but after talking to a few people I am not so sure. I have heard mixed reviews about the positives and negatives of community colleges. So here are my main questions:

#1. has anyone here started at community college then transferred to university? Which environment did you find better for learning.

#2. Do employers care at all if you do your first two years at community rather then university?

Now I know that it can depend a lot on the individual and the college, and I don't expect anyone to know what will be best for ME (me as in me not M.E.) I am just looking for people that went to a community college first to get their thoughts.

Any input on the subject would be helpful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say much for the first other than what other people tell me. To most people, CC is a great, cheaper alternative to universities for the first couple of years when you're taking the fairly unimportant GE courses.

As for the second question, employers don't care.

1. What is the main difference between a community college and a university?

The main difference between a community college and a university is the type of degree programs offered. Community colleges typically offer associate degrees and certificates, while universities offer bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Additionally, universities often have a larger campus and student population compared to community colleges.

2. Which option is more cost-effective, community college or university?

In general, community colleges are more cost-effective than universities. Tuition at community colleges is typically lower, and students often have the option to live at home and save on housing costs. However, the total cost will depend on individual factors such as financial aid, scholarships, and the length of the program.

3. Are the academic experiences different between community college and university?

Yes, the academic experiences at community colleges and universities can be quite different. Community college classes are usually smaller and more intimate, and students have more interaction with their professors. Universities, on the other hand, often have larger class sizes and more independent learning opportunities.

4. Can I transfer from a community college to a university?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a community college to a university. Many community colleges have transfer agreements with universities, making the process smoother. However, it is essential to carefully plan your coursework and meet with an advisor to ensure credits will transfer.

5. Which option is better for me, community college or university?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It depends on individual goals, preferences, and financial situation. Community college may be a better option for those looking to save money or who are unsure of their long-term academic goals. On the other hand, university may be a better fit for those seeking a more traditional college experience and higher level degrees.