Commutation of first variation and derivative operators in formulation Euler Lagrange equation

• Thread starter hideelo
  • Start date
I am trying to do go over the derivations for the principle of least action, and there seems to be an implicit assumption that I cant seem to justify. For the simple case of particles it is the following equality

δ(dq/dt) = d(δq)/dt

Where q is some coordinate, and δf is the first variation in f. In general, this can be seen more broadly, given a scalar field ψ

δ(∂ψ/∂x) = ∂(δψ)/∂x

Where x is any independant variable (i.e. x,y,z,t or any other coordinate system)

How are these equalities justified?

Answers and Replies

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I am trying to do go over the derivations for the principle of least action, and there seems to be an implicit assumption that I cant seem to justify. For the simple case of particles it is the following equality

δ(dq/dt) = d(δq)/dt

Where q is some coordinate, and δf is the first variation in f. In general, this can be seen more broadly, given a scalar field ψ

δ(∂ψ/∂x) = ∂(δψ)/∂x

Where x is any independant variable (i.e. x,y,z,t or any other coordinate system)

How are these equalities justified?
Well, if you have two functions [itex]q(t)[/itex] and [itex]q'(t)[/itex] that are related by:

[itex]q'(t) = q(t) + \delta q(t)[/itex]

Then clearly:

[itex] \dfrac{d q'}{dt} = \dfrac{dq}{dt} + \dfrac{d \delta q}{dt}[/itex]

So if [itex]\delta \dfrac{dq}{dt}[/itex] is defined to be [itex] \dfrac{dq'}{dt} - \dfrac{dq}{dt}[/itex], then the conclusion follows.

I suppose there are different ways to think about it, but I don't think of [itex]\delta[/itex] as being an operator. [itex]\delta q[/itex] is just a function of [itex]t[/itex], that's assumed to be small.

Likes vanhees71 and hideelo
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Another important point is that time (and also the endpoints of the action integral) are not varied in Hamilton's principle.