1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation of first variation and derivative operators in formulation Euler Lagrange equation

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    I am trying to do go over the derivations for the principle of least action, and there seems to be an implicit assumption that I cant seem to justify. For the simple case of particles it is the following equality

δ(dq/dt) = d(δq)/dt

Where q is some coordinate, and δf is the first variation in f. In general, this can be seen more broadly, given a scalar field ψ

δ(∂ψ/∂x) = ∂(δψ)/∂x

Where x is any independant variable (i.e. x,y,z,t or any other coordinate system)

How are these equalities justified?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if you have two functions [itex]q(t)[/itex] and [itex]q'(t)[/itex] that are related by:

[itex]q'(t) = q(t) + \delta q(t)[/itex]

Then clearly:

[itex] \dfrac{d q'}{dt} = \dfrac{dq}{dt} + \dfrac{d \delta q}{dt}[/itex]

So if [itex]\delta \dfrac{dq}{dt}[/itex] is defined to be [itex] \dfrac{dq'}{dt} - \dfrac{dq}{dt}[/itex], then the conclusion follows.

I suppose there are different ways to think about it, but I don't think of [itex]\delta[/itex] as being an operator. [itex]\delta q[/itex] is just a function of [itex]t[/itex], that's assumed to be small.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Another important point is that time (and also the endpoints of the action integral) are not varied in Hamilton's principle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook