1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation of (L^2)op and (Lz)op

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It has been shown that the operators (Lx)op and (Ly)op do not commute but satisfy the following equation:

(Lx)op(Ly)op - (Ly)op(Lx)op = i(hbar)(Lz)op

(a) Use this relation and the two similar equations obtained by cycling the coordinate labels to show that (L2)op(Lz)op = (Lz)op(L2)op, that is, these two operators commute. [Hint: You do not need to introduce the differential formulas for the operators. Use the fact that (AB)C = A(BC) where A, B, and C are operators]

The question continues, but this is the part I am having trouble with.

2. Relevant equations

Relevant equations are included in the question

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempted solution is attached (Scan0004.jpg). I work it out, but I'm going wrong somewhere as I'm finding that they do not commute as they should.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Andrew

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a rather convoluted way to do this, so I'm not going to try to pick apart all of it. But I can tell you that you have a significant error in the very first three lines. You have attempted to set

[tex]L_z = L_x L_y - L_y L_x[/tex]

when the correct expression is

[tex]L_z = \frac{1}{i \hbar} (L_x L_y - L_y L_x)[/tex]

Now, if you like, you can set [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex], as this amounts to just choosing a special system of units. However, you cannot set [itex]i = 1[/itex]. The imaginary unit i is crucial to getting the cancellation you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook