Commutation of Lindblad Operators

In summary, the problem involves two operators, $$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho)$$ and $$\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)$$, that are defined in terms of a and a^{\dagger}. The goal is to show that these two operators commute with each other, i.e. [$$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho), \mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)$$] = 0. The first attempt at solving this problem involves expanding the commutator, but further steps are needed to simplify the expressions and determine if they are indeed equal to zero. Additional techniques and resources may be utilized if needed.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

Let operator $$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho)$$ and $$\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)$$ is defined as

$$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho)=2a\rho{a}^{\dagger}-a^{\dagger}a\rho-\rho{a^{\dagger}}a$$

and $$\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)=2a^{\dagger}a\rho{a^{\dagger}}a-(a^{\dagger}a)^2\rho-\rho(a^{\dagger}a)^2$$

As we could see it is easy to show that $$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho)$$ and $$\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)$$ commute with each other. But if I do explicit calculation to show they commute with each other,
i.e, $$[\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho),\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)]=0$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

on explicit calculation I got,
$$ [a{\rho}{a}^{\dagger} , a^{\dagger}a{\rho}a^{\dagger}a] - 2[a^{\dagger}a{\rho} , a^{\dagger}a{\rho}a^{\dagger}a] - 2[\rho{a}^{\dagger}a , a^{dagger}a{\rho}a^{dagger}a] - 2[a{\rho}a^{\dagger} , (a^{\dagger}a)^2{\rho}] + [a^{\dagger}a{\rho} , (a^{\dagger}a)^2{\rho}] + [{\rho}{a}^{\dagger}a , (a^{\dagger}a)^2{\rho}] - 2[a{\rho}a^{\dagger , {\rho}(a^{\dagger}a)^2}] + [a^{\dagger}a{\rho} , {\rho}(a^{\dagger}a)^2] + [{\rho}{a^{\dagger}a , {\rho}(a^{\dagger}a)^2] $$

But from here I don't know how to cancel the terms in these commutators, I don't how to proceed further.

Attachments

• 20161222_073441.jpg
    20161222_073441.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first check if the expressions for $$\mathcal{L}_{AD}(\rho)$$ and $$\mathcal{L}_{PD}(\rho)$$ are correct. I would also check if the commutation relation is indeed supposed to be zero, as it seems unusual for two operators to commute with each other.

Assuming that the expressions and commutation relation are correct, I would then try to simplify the commutator by using known properties of operators and commutators. For example, I can use the fact that $$[AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B$$ to split up the commutator into smaller parts that might be easier to evaluate.

I might also try using the definition of commutator, $$[A,B]=AB-BA$$, to expand the commutators in terms of the operators involved. This could help identify terms that can be cancelled out.

If these methods do not yield a solution, I would consult with other colleagues or look for similar problems in textbooks or online resources to see if there are any common techniques or tricks that can be used to simplify the commutator. I might also try using a computer program or software to assist with the calculations.

Ultimately, as a scientist, I would approach this problem with a systematic and logical mindset, using known principles and techniques to try and simplify the commutator and determine if it is indeed equal to zero. If I am unable to solve it, I would seek help from others and continue to explore different methods until a solution is found.

1. What is meant by "Commutation of Lindblad Operators"?

The commutation of Lindblad operators refers to the mathematical operation of taking the commutator between two Lindblad operators. This is used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a quantum system under the influence of dissipative processes.

2. How is the commutation of Lindblad operators related to quantum dynamics?

The commutation of Lindblad operators is essential in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems subjected to dissipation. It helps to determine the rate at which the system loses information and how it evolves over time.

3. Can you provide an example of the commutation of Lindblad operators?

Sure, let's consider the Hamiltonian, H, and the Lindblad operators, L and L†. The commutation of L and L† is given by [L, L†] = LL† - L†L. This commutator is used to calculate the dissipation rate of the system and how it affects the evolution of the system.

4. What are the applications of the commutation of Lindblad operators?

The commutation of Lindblad operators has various applications in quantum mechanics, such as in open quantum systems, quantum information processing, and quantum control. It is also used in studying the dynamics of quantum systems in the presence of noise and decoherence.

5. Is the commutation of Lindblad operators a reversible process?

No, the commutation of Lindblad operators is not a reversible process. This is because the commutation of operators is a linear operation, and the resulting operator may not be hermitian, which is a requirement for time-reversible processes in quantum mechanics.