Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Commutator maths

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it true that [tex]ABC = CBA[/tex] implies [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 ??

The converse is of course true, and I cannot find a counter-exemple (ex: no 2 of the above commutation relation above are sufficient), but how is this proven?? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A trivial example is B=0. This can't imply [A,C]=0. Obviously.

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, I forgot to add the hypothesis that A,B,C are not null operators.

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, A=C=[[0,1],[0,0]], B=[[0,0],[1,0]]. ABC=CBA is obvious but [A,B]!=0.

6. Jan 28, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually no need for explicit matrices. Just take any A and B that don't commute and set C=A.

7. Jan 28, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry for wasting your time Dick but twice you've demonstrated that I am trying to show something stronger than what I really need for this physics problem.

I need to find an iff condition on A, B, C three non equal and non null hermitian operators (they're Sx,Sy and Sz, the spin operators) that makes their product ABC hermitian.

I came up with (ABC)+=C+B+A+=CBA. And now I want to find the iff condition on A,B,C that will make this equal to ABC.

(+ denotes hermitian conjugation)

8. Jan 28, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, 'false' is sort of by definition 'too strong'.

Well, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian, isn't it? Are A,B,C supposed to be linear combinations of the S's? Ok, so to sum up for the product AB to be hermitian we need that A and B commute. For ABC to be hermitian we need ABC=CBA. I guess I'm fuzzing out on what the actual problem is here... Can you be more specific?

9. Jan 28, 2007 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian. Precisely, I need to find for which integers l,m,n is the operator [tex]S_x^lS_y^mS_z^n[/tex] an observable. I should have said that in the first place, huh. :p

My hypothesis is that it is hermitian when at most 1 of the exponent is odd.

10. Jan 28, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are clearly right. Since (S_i)^2=1 for i=x,y,z. There are relatively few cases to consider.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook