1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator maths

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it true that [tex]ABC = CBA[/tex] implies [A,B]=[A,C]=[B,C]=0 ??

The converse is of course true, and I cannot find a counter-exemple (ex: no 2 of the above commutation relation above are sufficient), but how is this proven?? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A trivial example is B=0. This can't imply [A,C]=0. Obviously.

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, I forgot to add the hypothesis that A,B,C are not null operators.

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, A=C=[[0,1],[0,0]], B=[[0,0],[1,0]]. ABC=CBA is obvious but [A,B]!=0.

6. Jan 28, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually no need for explicit matrices. Just take any A and B that don't commute and set C=A.

7. Jan 28, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry for wasting your time Dick but twice you've demonstrated that I am trying to show something stronger than what I really need for this physics problem.

I need to find an iff condition on A, B, C three non equal and non null hermitian operators (they're Sx,Sy and Sz, the spin operators) that makes their product ABC hermitian.

I came up with (ABC)+=C+B+A+=CBA. And now I want to find the iff condition on A,B,C that will make this equal to ABC.

(+ denotes hermitian conjugation)

8. Jan 28, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, 'false' is sort of by definition 'too strong'.

Well, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian, isn't it? Are A,B,C supposed to be linear combinations of the S's? Ok, so to sum up for the product AB to be hermitian we need that A and B commute. For ABC to be hermitian we need ABC=CBA. I guess I'm fuzzing out on what the actual problem is here... Can you be more specific?

9. Jan 28, 2007 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, Sx.Sy.Sz is non-hermitian. Precisely, I need to find for which integers l,m,n is the operator [tex]S_x^lS_y^mS_z^n[/tex] an observable. I should have said that in the first place, huh. :p

My hypothesis is that it is hermitian when at most 1 of the exponent is odd.

10. Jan 28, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are clearly right. Since (S_i)^2=1 for i=x,y,z. There are relatively few cases to consider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?