1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator of a Cross Product

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that [tex]\vec{V} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{W}[/tex] are vector operators, show that [tex] \vec{V}\times \vec{W}[/tex] is also a vector operator.

2. The attempt at a solution
    The only way I know how to do this is by showing that the commutator with the angular momentum vector operator ([itex] \vec{J}[/itex]) is zero. Namely that [itex] [\vec{V}\times \vec{W} , \vec{J}] = 0[/itex]. I want to start the problem by expressing the commutator as I would usually do by writing [A,B] = AB - BA, but I don't know exactly which type of multiplication to use here. Intuition tells me the dot product, but I want to be sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Dot product is right.

Edit: Or not, see below.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  4. Nov 29, 2014 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not the dot-product. The usual meaning of [itex][A, \vec{J}][/itex] is that the result is a composite object (a tensor) with three components:

[itex][A, J_x][/itex], [itex][A, J_y][/itex], [itex][A, J_z][/itex]

If [itex]A[/itex] is itself a vector, then you get 9 components:

[itex][\vec{A}, \vec{J}] = T[/itex]

where [itex]T_{ij} = [A_i, J_j][/itex] and where [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex] are either [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex], or [itex]z[/itex].

As to your claim that for a vector operator, [itex][\vec{A}, \vec{J}] = 0[/itex], you should try an example with the momentum operator, [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]. Try [itex][p_x, J_y][/itex].

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5
    Thank you. That is a mistake above. I meant that the only way I know of to show that it is a vector operator, is to show that [itex]
    [\vec{V}\times \vec{W} , \vec{J}] \neq 0[/itex]. I was able to show that this is the case. This means it is not a scalar operator, but I am not sure if this is sufficient to show that it is a vector operator. It does mean that the rotation generator operator U won't commute with V x W.

Edit: I believe now that the condition to show that it is a vector operator, is to show that: [tex]
    [(\vec{V}\times \vec{W})_{i}, \vec{J}_{j}] = i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} (\vec{V}\times \vec{W})_{k}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted