Commutator of hermitian operators

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question on how to prove an equation involving hermitian operators. Seratend provides a brief explanation of how the equation relates to the commutator of hermitian operators, while Daniel goes into more detail by defining the adjoint of the commutator and proving its equality to the adjoint of the linear operator. There is some discussion about the usefulness of Daniel's post, but he defends his approach by stating that it showcases the beauty of quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with Daniel admitting to making mistakes in the past, but also acknowledging that he has learned from them.
Gideon
i searched the forum, but nothing came up. My question, how do you prove that [A,B] = iC if A and B are hermitian operators? I understand how C is hermitian as well, but i can't figure out how to prove the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gideon said:
i searched the forum, but nothing came up. My question, how do you prove that [A,B] = iC if A and B are hermitian operators? I understand how C is hermitian as well, but i can't figure out how to prove the equation.

What do you want to see? You have an equation AB -BA= iC

This equation tells you that ([A,B])^+=(AB-BA)^+ where + is the hermitian conjugate
=> ([A,B])^+= BA - AB=[B,A]=-[A,B]

=> the commutator of hermitian operators is an anti hermitian operator.
And an antihermitian operator is an hermitian operator times i.
[A,B] = iC just relates this fact nothing more.

Seratend.

Last edited:
Here's how i'd do it

Let's consider the densely defined linear operator

[tex] \hat{O}=:\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}=:\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A} [/tex] (1)

,where [itex] \hat{A},\hat{B} [/itex] are densly defined linear operators on the Hilbert space [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex].

The domain of this operator is

[tex]\mathcal{D}_{\hat{O}} \subset \left(\mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}}\cap\mathcal{D}_{\hat{B}}\right) [/tex]

We want to define the adjoint of [itex] \hat{O} [/itex].

-Let's consider a vector [itex] \phi\in\mathcal{H} [/itex].

-We define the action of a linear functional [itex] F [/itex]
*continuous on the image of the linear operator [itex] \hat{O} [/itex]
*associated to the linear operator [itex] \hat{O}[/itex] and to a vector [itex]\phi\in\mathcal{H}[/itex]
on a vector [itex] \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{O}} [/itex] by the scalar product in [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex]

[tex] F_{\hat{O},\phi}\psi =:\langle \phi,\hat{O}\var\psi \rangle [/tex] (2)

If for a given [itex] \phi\in\mathcal{H} [/itex] the values of the linear functional (2) admit the representation given by the theorem of Riesz,i.e.

[tex] F_{\hat{O},\phi}\psi =:\langle \chi,\psi\rangle [/tex] (3)

,with [itex] \chi\in\mathcal{H} [/itex] uniquely determined by [itex] \hat{O} [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex],

then there exists a densly defined linear operator denoted by [itex] \hat{O}^{\dagger} [/itex] called the adjoint of the linear operator [itex] \hat{O} [/itex]

which obeys

[tex] \chi=:\hat{O}^{\dagger}\phi [/tex] (4)

Therefore

[tex] \phi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{O}^{\dagger}} [/tex] (5)

[tex] \chi\in\mathcal{I}_{\hat{O}^{\dagger}} [/tex] (6)

We thus obtain

[tex] \left\langle \hat{O}^{\dagger}\phi,\psi\right\rangle =\left\langle\phi,\hat{O}\psi\right\rangle [/tex] (6)

To be continued.

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Here's how i'd do it

Let's consider the densely defined linear operator

[tex] \hat{O}=:\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}=:\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A} [/tex] (1)

,where [itex] \hat{A},\hat{B} [/itex] are densly defined linear operators on the Hilbert space [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex].

The domain of this operator is

[tex]\mathcal{D}_{\hat{O}}=\mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}}\cap\mathcal{D}_{\hat{B}} [/tex]

To be continued.

Daniel.

WTF are you talking about? It appears that you have been reading too many math books, and that it has affected your brain. Or perhaps you are just trying to show off.

HackaB said:
WTF are you talking about? It appears that you have been reading too many math books, and that it has affected your brain. Or perhaps you are just trying to show off.

There speaks a man ever so proud of his own ignorance (or if you are a lady, switch the appropriate pronouns).

SelfAdjoint:

Please explain to me the usefulness of Daniel's post. Seratend had already answered the question in two lines.

So that's how the adjoint of the commutator is defined.

[tex] F_{-\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-},\phi} =\left\langle\phi,-\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}\psi\right\rangle =\left\langle\phi,\hat{B}\hat{A}\psi\right\rangle-\left\langle\phi,\hat{A}\hat{B}\psi\right\rangle [/tex] (7)

[tex] \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}} \Rightarrow \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}} \ \mbox{and} \ \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{B}} [/tex] (8)

By hypothesis

[tex] \hat{A}\subset\hat{A}^{\dagger} [/tex] (9)

[tex]\hat{B}\subset\hat{B}^{\dagger} [/tex] (10)

From (8),(9) and (10) we conclude that

[tex] \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}^{\dagger}} \ \mbox{and} \ \psi\in\mathcal{D}_{\hat{B}^{\dagger}} [/tex] (11)

Moreover

[tex] \hat{A}\hat{B}\psi=\hat{A}^{\dagger}\hat{B}^{\dagger} \psi [/tex] (12)

[tex] \hat{B}\hat{A}\psi=\hat{B}^{\dagger}\hat{A}^{\dagger} \psi [/tex] (13)

Using (7),(12) and (13),one gets

[tex] F_{-\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-},\phi} =\left\langle\phi,\left(\left(B^{\dagger}\hat{A}^{\dagger}-\hat{A}^{\dagger}\hat{B}^{\dagger}\right)\psi\right\rangle=\left\langle\phi,\left(\left(\hat{A}\hat{B}\right)^{\dagger}-\left(\hat{B}\hat{A}\right)^{\dagger}\right)\psi\right\rangle [/tex] (14)

,where i used the operatorial inclusion

[tex] \left(\hat{A}\hat{B}\right)^{\dagger} \supseteq \hat{B}^{\dagger}\hat{A}^{\dagger} [/tex] (15)

Using in (14) another operatorial inclusion

[tex] \left(\hat{A}-\hat{B}\right)^{\dagger}\supseteq \hat{A}^{\dagger}-\hat{B}^{\dagger} [/tex] (16)

and the definition of the commutator,one gets

[tex] F_{-\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-},\phi} =F_{\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}^{\dagger},\phi} [/tex] (17)

Q.e.d.

Daniel.

HackaB said:

You call it "show off",i call it "quantum mechanics in its splendor" :approve:

Daniel.

Last edited:
OK, call it whatever you want. While you're here, how does that "proof that group multiplication is associative" go again?

I hope everyone sees that (17) implies

[tex] -\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}\subset \left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]_{-}^{\dagger} [/tex]

,even though I've clearly proven only the equality of the 2 images.I've only hinted the way to prove the inclusion of the domains.

Daniel.

HackaB said:
OK, call it whatever you want. While you're here, how does that "proof that group multiplication is associative" go again?

You'll descover through those 7000+ posts many more mistakes.The important thing is that I've learned from each and everyone of them... :smile:

Daniel.

1. What is the commutator of hermitian operators?

The commutator of hermitian operators is a mathematical operation that measures how two operators, which represent physical quantities in quantum mechanics, interact with each other. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the same two operators in the opposite order. In other words, it measures the non-commutativity of two operators.

2. Why is the commutator of hermitian operators important?

The commutator of hermitian operators is important because it is directly related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. The commutator of hermitian operators plays a crucial role in understanding and quantifying this uncertainty.

3. How is the commutator of hermitian operators calculated?

The commutator of hermitian operators is calculated by taking the product of the two operators and subtracting the product of the same two operators in the opposite order. This can be represented mathematically as [A,B] = AB - BA, where A and B are the two hermitian operators.

4. What is the physical significance of the commutator of hermitian operators?

The commutator of hermitian operators has physical significance in quantum mechanics because it determines how two operators interact with each other. When the commutator of two operators is non-zero, it means that the two operators do not commute, which leads to an uncertainty in the measurement of these physical quantities. In contrast, when the commutator of two operators is zero, it means that the two operators commute, and the corresponding physical quantities can be known with certainty.

5. Can the commutator of hermitian operators be used to determine the eigenvalues of an operator?

Yes, the commutator of hermitian operators can be used to determine the eigenvalues of an operator. If two operators, A and B, commute with each other, it means that they share a common set of eigenvectors. This allows us to simultaneously measure the two operators and determine their eigenvalues. However, if the commutator is non-zero, the operators do not share a common set of eigenvectors, and we cannot simultaneously measure the two operators with certainty.