1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator of two operators

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello.

I am supposed to find the commutator between to operators, but I can't seem to make it add up.
    The operators are given by:
    [tex]\hat{A}=\alpha \left( {{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}} \right)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\hat{B}=i\beta \left( \hat{a}_{+}^{2}-\hat{a}_{-}^{2} \right),[/tex]
    where alpha and beta are real numbers, i being the irrational number, and a+ and a- are the ladder operators.

Now, I just have to find the commutator [A, B]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By attempt is given by the following

[tex]\left[ \hat{A},\,\hat{B} \right]=\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A}=\alpha \left( {{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}} \right)i\beta \left( \hat{a}_{+}^{2}-\hat{a}_{-}^{2} \right)-i\beta \left( \hat{a}_{+}^{2}-\hat{a}_{-}^{2} \right)\alpha \left( {{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]=i\alpha \beta \left[ \begin{align}
    & -{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}-{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}} \\
    & -{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}-{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}} \\
    \end{align} \right]
    [/tex]
    [tex]=2i\alpha \beta \left[ \left( -\hat{a}_{+}^{2}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}-{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}+\hat{a}{{_{-}^{2}}_{-}}{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}} \right) \right][/tex]
    Now, according to the answer I have gotten from my teacher, it is supposed to be:
    [tex]\left[ \hat{A},\hat{B} \right]=2i\alpha \beta \hat{A}[/tex]

But I am kinda lost in how to end up with the operator A in the end, and even another alpha constant, since A operator is equal to alpha and some ladder operators.

So, what am I missing ? :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2
    First of all, do not use directly the definition of commutator... remember that there are properties of the commutator you can use to do things simpler:
    1) Commutator is linear, i.e. ##[A+B,C]=[A,C]+[B,C]## and ##[\alpha A,B]=\alpha[A,B]##
    2) Multiplication is treated like ##[AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B##

Using these two properties, you can simplify a lot what you wrote. Then use also the definitions of commutations of ladder operators ##[a_+,a_+]=[a_-,a_-]=0##, ##[a_-,a_+]=1=-[a_+,a_-]##.
    Now you are done. Anyway you're right as for the ##\alpha##, you get only one so you have to put it into the definition of ##A## and you will get as result ##2i\beta A##

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Ahhh yes.

Haven't thought of re-writing it that way. Thank you :)

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4
    R: Commutator of two operators

Always try to use this method in exercises like that, it's often much simpler than just splitting all up :)
    And anyway, you're welcome

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5
    zero

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted