1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator PGRE question

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let J-hat be a quantum mechanial angular momentum operator. The commutator [J^hat_x J^hat_y,J^hat_z] is equivalent to which of the following

2. Relevant equations
    [J^hat_x,J^hat_y]=iħJ^hat_z
    [J^hat_y,J^hat_z]=iħJ^hat_x
    [J^hat_z,J^hat_x]=iħJ^hat_y

[A,B]=[AB-BA]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to plug this out using commutator relations
    [J^hat_x J^hat_y,J^hat_z]=J^hat_x J*hat_y J^hat_x-J^hat_xJ^hat_x J^hat_y
    simplifies to
    iħ(j^hat_z-J^hat_x)=0

The answer the got for the practice test is -i=(j^hat_x,J^hat_z)
    im not sure how the simplified to get this answer. if i simplified mine i would just get J^hat_z=J^hat_x..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't follow your calculation, I do not know either what you actually meant when writing "-i=(j^hat_x,J^hat_z)" as such notation has no existing mathematical meaning, as far as I know.
    So, ##[J_xJ_y,J_z] = J_xJ_yJ_z - J_zJ_xJ_y##, from this try to add and subtract some term, with which you can pair the two terms already existing in the original commutator to form commutators of the form that you have written in "Relevant equations", for example try to add and subtract ##J_xJ_zJ_y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted