Proving the Commutator w/Taylor Expansion: Rick's Problem

• Thread starter kcirick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the commutator is invariant under unitary changes of coordinates, so it can be used to simplify the Taylor series for a function.
kcirick
Question:
If g(p) can be Taylor expanded in polynomials, then prove that:

[tex] \left[x, g\left(p\right)\right] = i\hbar \frac{dg}{dp} [/tex]

To start, I multiply the wave function [itex] \Psi [/itex] and expand the commutator:

[tex] \left( xg\left(p\right)-g\left(p\right)x \right)\Psi [/tex]

then expand g(p) using Taylor:

[tex] x\left(g\left(a\right) + g'\left(a\right)\left(p-a\right)\right)\Psi + \left(g\left(a\right) + g'\left(a\right)\left(p-a\right)\right)x\Psi [/tex]

Then I'm stuck... I'm nowhere near getting [itex]i\hbar[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dg}{dp}[/itex]

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
-Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that's true for g(p)=p^n. Then write out the taylor series of g and apply the commutator to each term.

StatusX said:
Prove that's true for g(p)=p^n. Then write out the taylor series of g and apply the commutator to each term.
That was my previous question... I already proved that

[tex] \left[x, p^{n}\right]=ihnp^{n-1} [/tex]

But I don't see how that is helpful or how I'm going to use that to do my original question.

g(a) + g'(a) (p - a) is almost never the Taylor expansion of g(p).

[a,b+c]=[a,b]+[a,c]. Use this to show the formula is true for any polynomial. Then take the limit to show it's true of the taylor series (ie, [itex]g(p)=a_0 + a_1 p + a_2 p^2 + ...[/itex]). This part might be a little tricky, and I don't know how rigorous you need to be, but to show two operators are equal, you need to show they agree on every function.

Solution

So here's what I have:

Taylor expansion of g(p) can be expressed as the following:
[tex]g\left(p\right) \approx a_{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n} [/tex]
So applying the commutator:
[tex]\left[x, g\left(p\right)] = [x, a_{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n} = \left[x, a_{o}\right]+\left[x, a_{1}p\right]+\left[x, a_{2}p^{2}\right]+\cdots+\left[x, a_{n}p^{n}\right] [/tex]
[tex] = 0 + i\hbar a_{1} \frac{dp}{dx} + i\hbar a_{2} \frac{dp^{2}}{dx} + \cdots + i\hbar a_{n} \frac{dp^{n}}{dx} [/tex]
since [itex] \left[x, p^{n}\right] = i\hbar\frac{dp^{n}}{dx}[/itex].

So:
[tex]\left[x, g\left(p\right)\right] = i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\left(a{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n}\right)=i\hbar\frac{dg\left(p\right)}{dx} [/tex]

I think I did that okay. What do you think?

Evaluate the Poisson bracket between the 2 functions and then quantize the result via Dirac's prescription.

Daniel.

StatusX said:

I thought I had it, but it turned out that I was getting the wrong answer. Here's what I did:

[tex] \left[x, p^{n}\right]\Psi = \left(xp^{n} - p^{n}x\right)\Psi = x\left(-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right)^{n}\Psi - \left(-i\hbar\right)^{n} \left(\frac{d^{n}x}{dx^{n}}\Psi + x\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\Psi\right) [/tex]
[tex] = -\left(-i\hbar\right)^{n}\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}\Psi = i\hbar\left(-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right)^{n-1}\Psi [/tex]

But then I get [itex] i\hbar p^{n-1} [/itex] as an answer, and I should be getting [itex]i\hbar np^{n-1} [/itex] . Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

dextercioby said:
Evaluate the Poisson bracket between the 2 functions and then quantize the result via Dirac's prescription.

Daniel.

This works too, but if you want to do it purely in the framework of QM, I'd recommend trying to do this in the momentum representation, where [tex]x = - i \hbar \partial_x[/tex] and have your trial function sitting up front.

Commutators are invariant under unitary changes of coordinates.

The idea is to start from the fundamental commutation relation [itex][x,p]=-i\hbar[/itex] and not worry about what p is. Then there is a rule that [A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C], so you can use induction to get [itex][x,p^n]=-i\hbar n p^{n-1}[/itex]. Finally, apply this to the taylor series, and you'll end up with what they want you to prove. But this shows that [itex]x=-i\hbar\partial/\partial p[/itex], and symmetrically, [itex]p=-i\hbar\partial/\partial x[/itex], so from that simple commutation relation you've found what p "is".

Last edited:

1. How does the Taylor expansion method prove the commutator in Rick's problem?

The Taylor expansion method is a mathematical technique that allows us to approximate a function using a series of polynomial terms. By applying this method to the commutator in Rick's problem, we can show that the two operators commute if their Taylor expansions are the same.

2. What is a commutator and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the non-commutativity of two operators. In quantum mechanics, the commutator is important because it helps us understand the relationship between observables and their corresponding physical quantities.

3. Are there any limitations to using the Taylor expansion method to prove the commutator in Rick's problem?

The Taylor expansion method may not always be applicable in proving the commutator in Rick's problem. It requires that the operators involved have well-defined Taylor expansions and that the expansions converge. In some cases, this may not be true, and alternative methods must be used.

4. Can the Taylor expansion method be applied to any type of operators in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Taylor expansion method can be applied to any type of operators in quantum mechanics as long as they have well-defined Taylor expansions. This includes both Hermitian and non-Hermitian operators.

5. How does proving the commutator in Rick's problem using the Taylor expansion method contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Proving the commutator in Rick's problem using the Taylor expansion method helps us further our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also demonstrates the versatility of the Taylor expansion method in solving mathematical problems in quantum mechanics.