1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator Problem

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Question:
    If g(p) can be Taylor expanded in polynomials, then prove that:

[tex] \left[x, g\left(p\right)\right] = i\hbar \frac{dg}{dp} [/tex]

To start, I multiply the wave function [itex] \Psi [/itex] and expand the commutator:

[tex] \left( xg\left(p\right)-g\left(p\right)x \right)\Psi [/tex]

then expand g(p) using Taylor:

[tex] x\left(g\left(a\right) + g'\left(a\right)\left(p-a\right)\right)\Psi + \left(g\left(a\right) + g'\left(a\right)\left(p-a\right)\right)x\Psi [/tex]

Then I'm stuck... I'm nowhere near getting [itex]i\hbar[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dg}{dp}[/itex]

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
    -Rick

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Prove that's true for g(p)=p^n. Then write out the taylor series of g and apply the commutator to each term.

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    That was my previous question... I already proved that

[tex] \left[x, p^{n}\right]=ihnp^{n-1} [/tex]

But I don't see how that is helpful or how I'm going to use that to do my original question.

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

g(a) + g'(a) (p - a) is almost never the Taylor expansion of g(p).

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

[a,b+c]=[a,b]+[a,c]. Use this to show the formula is true for any polynomial. Then take the limit to show it's true of the taylor series (ie, [itex]g(p)=a_0 + a_1 p + a_2 p^2 + ...[/itex]). This part might be a little tricky, and I don't know how rigorous you need to be, but to show two operators are equal, you need to show they agree on every function.

7. Oct 18, 2006 #6
    Solution

So here's what I have:

Taylor expansion of g(p) can be expressed as the following:
    [tex]g\left(p\right) \approx a_{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n} [/tex]
    So applying the commutator:
    [tex]\left[x, g\left(p\right)] = [x, a_{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n} = \left[x, a_{o}\right]+\left[x, a_{1}p\right]+\left[x, a_{2}p^{2}\right]+\cdots+\left[x, a_{n}p^{n}\right] [/tex]
    [tex] = 0 + i\hbar a_{1} \frac{dp}{dx} + i\hbar a_{2} \frac{dp^{2}}{dx} + \cdots + i\hbar a_{n} \frac{dp^{n}}{dx} [/tex]
    since [itex] \left[x, p^{n}\right] = i\hbar\frac{dp^{n}}{dx}[/itex].

So:
    [tex]\left[x, g\left(p\right)\right] = i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\left(a{o}+a_{1}p+a_{2}p^{2}+\cdots+a_{n}p^{n}\right)=i\hbar\frac{dg\left(p\right)}{dx} [/tex]

I think I did that okay. What do you think?

8. Oct 18, 2006 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Evaluate the Poisson bracket between the 2 functions and then quantize the result via Dirac's prescription.

Daniel.

9. Oct 18, 2006 #8
    I thought I had it, but it turned out that I was getting the wrong answer. Here's what I did:

[tex] \left[x, p^{n}\right]\Psi = \left(xp^{n} - p^{n}x\right)\Psi = x\left(-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right)^{n}\Psi - \left(-i\hbar\right)^{n} \left(\frac{d^{n}x}{dx^{n}}\Psi + x\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\Psi\right) [/tex]
    [tex] = -\left(-i\hbar\right)^{n}\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}\Psi = i\hbar\left(-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right)^{n-1}\Psi [/tex]

But then I get [itex] i\hbar p^{n-1} [/itex] as an answer, and I should be getting [itex]i\hbar np^{n-1} [/itex] . Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

10. Oct 18, 2006 #9
    This works too, but if you want to do it purely in the framework of QM, I'd recommend trying to do this in the momentum representation, where [tex]x = - i \hbar \partial_x[/tex] and have your trial function sitting up front.

Commutators are invariant under unitary changes of coordinates.

11. Oct 18, 2006 #10

StatusX

Homework Helper

The idea is to start from the fundamental commutation relation [itex][x,p]=-i\hbar[/itex] and not worry about what p is. Then there is a rule that [A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C], so you can use induction to get [itex][x,p^n]=-i\hbar n p^{n-1}[/itex]. Finally, apply this to the taylor series, and you'll end up with what they want you to prove. But this shows that [itex]x=-i\hbar\partial/\partial p[/itex], and symmetrically, [itex]p=-i\hbar\partial/\partial x[/itex], so from that simple commutation relation you've found what p "is".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?