Commutator property question

In summary: You have to go through all the steps. In summary, if two commuting operators A and B have a result that takes L_{z},r^{2}=0, then [L,r]=0.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

If we have two commuting operators A and B, is true that any function of A will commute with any function of B? I have a result which takes [itex][L_{z},r^{2}]=0[/itex] and claims that [itex][L_{z},r]=0[/itex]. How can this be proved? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
McLaren Rulez said:
Hi,

If we have two commuting operators A and B, is true that any function of A will commute with any function of B? I have a result which takes [itex][L_{z},r^{2}]=0[/itex] and claims that [itex][L_{z},r]=0[/itex]. How can this be proved? Thank you

Note that A[itex]^{2}[/itex]B[itex]^{2}[/itex] = AABB = A(AB)B = A(BA)B since A and B commute.
= (AB)AB = (BA)(BA) = B(AB)A = B(BA)A = B[itex]^{2}[/itex]A[itex]^{2}[/itex]

i.e. A[itex]^{2}[/itex] commutes with B[itex]^{2}[/itex].

In like manner one can prove that A[itex]^{n}[/itex] commutes with B[itex]^{m}[/itex].

Note also that many functions of A can be expanded as power series in A. Similarly for functions of B.

Thank you for replying grzz.

I understand how to go from a lower power to a higher power. You showed that if A and B commute, then A^2 and B^2 also commute. But the reverse is what is being done in my question so how can I prove it for decreasing powers?

Thank you.

I did not read your qustion carefully!

Can anyone else help? I have this idea but I am not sure if its correct.

We have [itex]Lr^{2}-r^{2}L=0[/itex]

So, [itex]Lr^{2}-rLr+rLr-r^{2}L=0[/itex] where I just added and subtracted the middle terms.

Then [itex][L,r]r+r[L,r]=0[/itex].

Would it be correct to say that since this is true for arbitrary r, [L,r] must be zero? I am not sure of this argument, especially the last step. Thank you

EDIT: No, that's not right. So any help?

It's not true in general.
Counterexample: take the pauli matrices [itex][\sigma_x,\sigma_y^2]=[\sigma_x,1]=0[/itex], but [itex][\sigma_x,\sigma_y]=2i\sigma_z \neq0[/itex]

Thank you aesir. I get it now.

Looks like there aren't any shortcuts to prove [L,r]=0.

1. What is the commutator property question?

The commutator property question is a concept in mathematics and physics that deals with the relationship between operators in a system. It asks whether or not two operators in a system commute, meaning if their order can be switched without changing the outcome of the system.

2. Why is the commutator property question important?

The commutator property question is important because it helps determine the behavior and properties of mathematical and physical systems. If two operators do not commute, it can affect the accuracy and predictability of calculations and models.

3. How is the commutator property question related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the commutator property question is crucial in understanding the uncertainty principle. The non-commutativity of certain operators, such as position and momentum, is what leads to the uncertainty in the measurements of these physical quantities.

4. Can the commutator property be generalized to other fields of study?

Yes, the commutator property is a fundamental concept in mathematics and can be applied to various fields such as linear algebra, group theory, and differential equations. It is also used in engineering, specifically in signal processing and control systems.

5. How is the commutator property tested or proven?

The commutator property can be tested or proven through mathematical proofs and experiments. In mathematics, it can be shown through the use of commutator brackets and commutator identities. In experiments, the commutator property can be tested by observing the behavior of a system when the order of operators is switched.