1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator Relation [L_i,L_j]

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find ##[L_i,L_j]##.

2. Relevant equations

[tex][x_i,p_j] = \delta_{ij}i\hbar[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex][L_i,L_j] = \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{jlm} [x_jp_k,x_lp_m][/tex]
    [tex] = \left( \delta_{jl}\delta_{km} - \delta_{jm}\delta_{kl}\right)[x_jp_k,x_lp_m][/tex]
    [tex] = [x_jp_k,x_jp_k] - [x_jp_k,p_kx_j][/tex]
    [tex] = p_kx_jx_jp_k - x_jp_kp_kx_j[/tex]

Since ##x_jp_k = p_kx_j## for j≠k, we swap the two in the second term:

[tex] = p_kx_jx_jp_k - x_jp_kx_jp_k[/tex]
    [tex] = [p_k,x_j]x_jp_k[/tex]
    [tex] = -i\hbar \delta_{jk}x_jp_k[/tex]

I think the answer is something like ##i\hbar L_k##.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've used j as a dummy summation index on the right, which leads to trouble because on the left j is a fixed index. You'll need to use a dummy index other than j when you express ##L_i##.

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3
    [tex][L_i, L_l] = \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[x_jp_k,x_mp_n][/tex]
    [tex] = (\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn}\delta_{km})[x_jp_k, x_mp_n][/tex]
    [tex] = -[x_jp_k, x_kp_j] [/tex]
    [tex] = -\left( [x_jp_k,x_k]p_j + x_k[x_jp_k,p_j]\right) [/tex]
    [tex] = -\left( x_j[p_kx_k]p_j + x_k[x_j,p_j]p_k\right)[/tex]
    [tex] = i\hbar \left( x_jp_j - x_kp_k\right)[/tex]
    [tex] = 0[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. Mar 21, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn} \neq (\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn}\delta_{km})[/tex]
    (Note that indices ##i## and ##l## appear on the left but not on the right.)

6. Mar 21, 2014 #5
    Ah that's right, for that identity to work they must have the same leftmost letter.

7. Mar 21, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Then you would be summing over the leftmost index of each Levi-Civita symbol. But, in your case there is no summation (yet).

8. Mar 21, 2014 #7
    Ok I've given it another go!

[tex][x_jp_k, x_mp_n] = [x_jp_k, x_m]p_n + x_m[x_jp_k, p_n][/tex]
    [tex] = \left( x_j[p_k, x_m]p_n + x_m[x_j, p_n]p_k\right) [/tex]
    [tex] = -i\hbar \left( \delta_{km}x_jp_n - \delta_{jn}x_mp_k\right] [/tex]

Now applying ##\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}##:

[tex] = -i\hbar \left( \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lkn}x_jp_k - \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmj}x_mp_k\right)[/tex]

[tex] = -i\hbar \left( -\epsilon_{kij}\epsilon_{kln}x_jp_n + \epsilon_{jik}\epsilon_{jlm}x_mp_k\right)[/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar \left[ (\delta_{il}\delta_{jn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{jl})x_jp_n - (\delta_{il}\delta_{km} - \delta_{im}\delta_{kl})x_mp_k\right][/tex]

Now, ##i=m=n## and ##j=k=l##:

[tex] = i\hbar \left( x_jp_j - x_jp_i -x_jp_j+x_ip_j\right) [/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar (x_ip_j - x_jp_i)[/tex]

[tex][L_i,L_j] = i\hbar \epsilon_{kij}x_ip_j[/tex]

[tex] [L_i,L_j] = i\hbar L_k[/tex]

9. Mar 21, 2014 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Looks good.

From your post #3 you are evaluating ##[L_i, L_l]##. So the indices ##i## and ##l## are fixed.
    Have another go at simplifying [tex] i\hbar \left[ (\delta_{il}\delta_{jn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{jl})x_jp_n - (\delta_{il}\delta_{km} - \delta_{im}\delta_{kl})x_mp_k\right][/tex]

10. Mar 22, 2014 #9
    [tex] i\hbar \left[ (\delta_{il}\delta_{jn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{jl})x_jp_n - (\delta_{il}\delta_{km} - \delta_{im}\delta_{kl})x_mp_k\right][/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar [\delta_{im}\delta_{kl}x_mp_k - \delta_{in}\delta_{jl}x_jp_n][/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar [(\delta_{im}\delta_{kl} - \delta_{ik}\delta_{ml})x_mp_k][/tex]

11. Mar 22, 2014 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. You can keep going and simplify further. Note that you are summing over m, k, [STRIKE]j[/STRIKE], and [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE].

[EDIT: Sorry. I see you've reduced it to just summing over m and k]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. Mar 22, 2014 #11
    I have simplified it till it's a sum over m and k only. But that doesn't reduce to 2 epsilons

13. Mar 22, 2014 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. What is your final expression after summing over m and k?

14. Mar 22, 2014 #13
    the deltas don't seem to combine to give an epsilon

15. Mar 22, 2014 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We'll see how to get an epsilon factor later. For now, what expression do you get after summing over m and k?

16. Mar 22, 2014 #15
    Actually, check out post #7. I solved it already by expanding. I thought you meant that there was a way of making use of the identity ##(\epsilon_{1}\epsilon_{2} = \delta\delta - \delta\delta)## to get the epsilon more explicitly..

In post #7, the epsilon was drawn out by observation of a cross product ##x_ip_j - p_ix_j##

17. Mar 22, 2014 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, in post 7 you are getting the right type of result. It's confusing, because you started out post 7 as a continuation of post 3 where you were calculating ##[L_i, L_l]##, but somehow ended up with an expression for ##[L_i, L_j]##.

But if you now feel that you understand all the steps to get from ##[L_i, L_j]## to ## i \hbar (x_i p_j - p_i x_j )##, you are essentially done.

If you let ##k## denote the direction perpendicular to the ##i##-##j ## plane,then you have shown that ##[L_i, L_j] = i \hbar (x_i p_j - p_i x_j) = i \hbar L_k##

Can you show that this is equivalent to ##[L_i, L_j] = i \hbar \epsilon_{ijm} L_m## with summation over ##m##?

18. Mar 22, 2014 #17
    It's ##[L_i, L_l] = i\hbar (x_ip_l - p_ix_l) = i\hbar L_m## I'm still missing an ##\epsilon## though..

19. Mar 22, 2014 #18

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that's correct with the understanding that ##m## refers to the index that defines the direction perpendicular to the ##i##-##l## plane and that the indices ##i, l## and ##m## are in cyclic order.

The nice thing is that the one expression [tex][L_i, L_j] = i \hbar \sum_{k=1}^{3} \epsilon_{ijk}L_k = i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk}L_k [/tex] automatically takes care of everything. In the last expression the summation over ##k## is assumed (using the Einstein summation convention for repeated indices).

20. Mar 22, 2014 #19
    I seem to be missing an ##\epsilon## in my final answer..

21. Mar 22, 2014 #20

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We have ##[L_i, L_j] = i \hbar (x_ip_j - x_jp_i)##.

The right hand side contains ##(x_ip_j - x_jp_i)##, which is the component of angular momentum that is perpendicular to the ##i##-##j## plane. A convenient way to express this component of angular momentum is ##\epsilon_{ijk}L_k## (where summation over the index ##k## is assumed). So the epsilon is "put in by hand" as a way of expressing the angular momentum component that is perpendicular to the ##i##-##j## plane.

Thus, we can write

##[L_i, L_j] = i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk}L_k##

As an example, if ##i = 1## and ##j = 2##, then ##[L_1, L_2] = i \hbar \epsilon_{12k}L_k = i \hbar L_3##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted