1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutators and wave function

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the results of the previous problem, find [x,p2 ] and from that determine [x,p2 ][itex]\psi[/itex](x)

2. Relevant equations

The solution to the previous problem was [A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]

3. The attempt at a solution

As I'm suppose to use the results of the previous problem I think what I need to do is

[x,pp]=[x,p]p+p[x,p]

But that doesn't really seem right to me... shouldn't this lead me to an identity (it doesn't say but usually in a QM problem p is momentum and this would seem to be leading to a wave equation in momentum space). If I really am approaching this the correct way, then how should I treat [x,p2 ][itex]\psi[/itex](x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is [x,p]?

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you are on the right track. I should have started my previous post with this.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4
    My first instinct is to answer [x,p]=-[p,x]...but I don't think that was what you were asking?

6. Aug 3, 2011 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While this true, you need to evaluate [x,p] explicitly. The answer is something simple, and will have been covered earlier in your text/course.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #6
    Am I correct in thinking that x is position and p momentum?

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7
    The canonical commutation? [x,p]=i [itex]\hbar[/itex]

9. Aug 3, 2011 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes; now, use this in the expression at the end of your first post.

10. Aug 4, 2011 #9
    (i [itex]\hbar[/itex])p+p(i [itex]\hbar[/itex]) ?

11. Aug 4, 2011 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, but remember that [itex]\left[ x , p \right] = i\hbar[/itex] really means [itex]\left[ x , p \right] = i\hbar I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity operator.

12. Aug 4, 2011 #11
    So in the first part I then end up with a result of

(i [itex]\hbar[/itex] I)p + p(i [itex]\hbar[/itex] I)

Do the standard rules of algebra apply here allowing me to combine this?

Then for the second part is my result just the combined result with the [itex]\psi[/itex](x)? (a complex wave equation in momentum space?)

13. Aug 4, 2011 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, [itex]i\hbar I[/itex] commutes with all operators, and [itex]IA = A[/itex] for all operators [itex]A[/itex].
    [itex]\psi \left( x \right)[/itex] is a complex wave function (not equation) in position space (since [itex]\psi[/itex] is a function of position [itex]x[/itex]). What is the position space representation of the momentum operator, i.e., [itex]p = ?[/itex] This also will have been covered earlier in your text/course.

14. Aug 5, 2011 #13
    I think I'm starting to grasp this. It seems like the final solution is heading towards something similar to px = i [itex]\hbar[/itex] [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook