Commutators in 2 dimensions

In summary, when simplifying the commutator [A,B] and finding the expectation value of [A,B] in the ground state for an isotropic harmonic oscillator and a hydrogen atom in ground state, both resulted in an expectation value of 0. This is due to the fact that the commutator is zero and the integrand is odd, resulting in a vanishing integral.
Sunshine

Homework Statement

Simplify the commutator [A,B] and give the expectation value of [A,B] in the ground state for an isotropic harmonic oscillator (mass m) that has the energy [tex]\hbar \omega /2[/tex] when
[tex]A = xp_x[/tex]
[tex]B = y
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B [/tex]
[tex][p_i,x_j] = i\hbar\delta_{ij}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][xp_x,y] = x[p_x,y] + [x,y]p_x [/tex] (first relation)
[tex]x[p_x,y] = 0[/tex] (second relation)
Last term with test function f(x)
[tex][x,y]p_x f(x) = xy\frac\hbar i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x) - yx \frac\hbar i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x) = 0 ? [/tex]

I have a feeling that 0 isn't the answer, since I have to find the expectation value as well. If the last equation doesn't become 0 but the middle equation is the most simplified answer, I don't know how to find an expectation value that isn't equal to 0 (because I get that when I put it into the usual integral for expectation value)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunshine said:

Homework Statement

Simplify the commutator [A,B] and give the expectation value of [A,B] in the ground state for an isotropic harmonic oscillator (mass m) that has the energy [tex]\hbar \omega /2[/tex] when
[tex]A = xp_x[/tex]
[tex]B = y
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B [/tex]
[tex][p_i,x_j] = i\hbar\delta_{ij}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][xp_x,y] = x[p_x,y] + [x,y]p_x [/tex] (first relation)
[tex]x[p_x,y] = 0[/tex] (second relation)
Last term with test function f(x)
[tex][x,y]p_x f(x) = xy\frac\hbar i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x) - yx \frac\hbar i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x) = 0 ? [/tex]

I have a feeling that 0 isn't the answer, since I have to find the expectation value as well. If the last equation doesn't become 0 but the middle equation is the most simplified answer, I don't know how to find an expectation value that isn't equal to 0 (because I get that when I put it into the usual integral for expectation value)

the commutator of the A and B you gave above is indeed zero which is obvious because y commutes with p_x and with y as well.

Are you sure that A is not x p_y instead of x p_x?? Because then the calculation would be more interesting.

yes, it is [tex]xp_x[/tex].

So the expectation value is 0 as well?

Sunshine said:
yes, it is [tex]xp_x[/tex].

So the expectation value is 0 as well?

Yes, it is zero.

Strange question :uhh:

I'm confused because it seems too easy to count expectation value for 0. Especially when question 2 (out of 3 in the assignment) has a trivial expectation value too. Doing it for 3rd time just to make sure I'm not missing something. If it becomes zero again, I'll be almost certain that something is wrong.

Sunshine said:
I'm confused because it seems too easy to count expectation value for 0. Especially when question 2 (out of 3 in the assignment) has a trivial expectation value too. Doing it for 3rd time just to make sure I'm not missing something. If it becomes zero again, I'll be almost certain that something is wrong.

is that a question from a book or was it typed up by your professor? I would think that he/she may have made a mistake or that there is a typo in the book.
(or do they want the expectation value of AB instead of [A,B]?)

The professor took the question from an unknown book, typed it into word and emailed it. I don't think it's a typo, and I'd never dare to ask if it was. He wouldn't admit his mistake anyway ;)

ok, second question is like the first one with a few differences:

Now I have
[tex]A = L_x[/tex]
[tex]B = z_x^2[/tex]

And it's not a harmonic oscillator, but a hydrogen atom in ground state. My solution:

[tex][L_x, zx^2] = [yp_z - zp_y, zx^2][/tex]
[tex]=[yp_z,zx^2]-[zp_y,zx^2][/tex]

First term: [tex]y(\mathbf{[p_z,z]x^2} + z[p_z,x^2])+([y,z]x^2 + z[y,x^2])p_z[/tex]
Second term:[tex]z([p_y,z]x^2 + z[p_y,x^2])+([z,z]x^2 + z[z,x^2])p_y[/tex]

Only the term in bold is non-zero, which gives:

[tex]y[p_z,z]x^2 = -i\hbar y x^2[/tex]

The squared absolute value of wavefunction for hydrogen atom in ground state:
[tex]|\Psi |^2 = \dfrac{1}{\pi a^3} e^{-2r/a}[/tex]

Hence, the expectation value is (changing to spherical coordinates):
[tex]-ih<yx^2> = ih<r^2 \sin^3\theta \cos^2\phi \sin\phi > = C \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^a (r^2 \sin^3\theta \cos^2\phi \sin\phi) e^{-2r/a} r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

This is 0! (Tried with Mathematica) I'm not sure about the interval for r; if it's from 0 to a or from 0 to infinity. In the last case the integral doesn't converge.

Can you see where I'm going wrong?

Last edited:
Sunshine said:
The professor took the question from an unknown book, typed it into word and emailed it. I don't think it's a typo, and I'd never dare to ask if it was. He wouldn't admit his mistake anyway ;)

ok, second question is like the first one with a few differences:

Now I have
[tex]A = L_x[/tex]
[tex]B = z_x^2[/tex]

And it's not a harmonic oscillator, but a hydrogen atom in ground state. My solution:

[tex][L_x, zx^2] = [yp_z - zp_y, zx^2][/tex]
[tex]=[yp_z,zx^2]-[zp_y,zx^2][/tex]

First term: [tex]y(\mathbf{[p_z,z]x^2} + z[p_z,x^2])+([y,z]x^2 + z[y,x^2])p_z[/tex]
Second term:[tex]z([p_y,z]x^2 + z[p_y,x^2])+([z,z]x^2 + z[z,x^2])p_y[/tex]

Only the term in bold is non-zero, which gives:

[tex]y[p_z,z]x^2 = -i\hbar y x^2[/tex]

The squared absolute value of wavefunction for hydrogen atom in ground state:
[tex]|\Psi |^2 = \dfrac{1}{\pi a^3} e^{-2r/a}[/tex]

Hence, the expectation value is (changing to spherical coordinates):
[tex]-ih<yx^2> = ih<r^2 \sin^3\theta \cos^2\phi \sin\phi > = C \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^a (r^2 \sin^3\theta \cos^2\phi \sin\phi) e^{-2r/a} r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

This is 0! (Tried with Mathematica) I'm not sure about the interval for r; if it's from 0 to a or from 0 to infinity. In the last case the integral doesn't converge.

Can you see where I'm going wrong?

It (almost) all looks right.

Within doing any integral it is clear that the integration will give zero. The ground state wavefunction is spherically symmetric so it's even under [tex] x,y,z \rightarrow -x,-y,-z [/tex] but the integrand xy^2 is obviously odd, so the integral must vanish.

The only wrong thing I can see is that you should be able to integrate r from 0 to infinity (the exponential will make any integral with powers of r converge). But that does not change the final conclusion, the integral gives zero.

You are right, the last integral becomes 0 as well -I accidentally made the assumption that a<0 istead of a>0 in Mathematica last time.

So the conclusion is that the expectation value of both commutators is 0?

Sunshine said:
You are right, the last integral becomes 0 as well -I accidentally made the assumption that a<0 istead of a>0 in Mathematica last time.
I am not sure what you mean by last integral but if you mean the integral over r, then no, it does not give zero by itself. And I am not sure what "a" is. You mean the Bohr radius? No, the radial integral should be from 0 to infinity, period. But the angular integral will give zero so that the final result is zero.

So the conclusion is that the expectation value of both commutators is 0?
Looks like it to me.

1. What are commutators in 2 dimensions?

Commutators in 2 dimensions refer to mathematical operators that describe the relationship between two variables in a two-dimensional space. They are used to understand the behavior of systems with multiple dimensions and can help predict how different variables will interact with each other.

2. What is the significance of studying commutators in 2 dimensions?

Studying commutators in 2 dimensions allows us to better understand the behavior of complex systems, such as quantum mechanical systems, which often involve multiple dimensions. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. How are commutators in 2 dimensions calculated?

Commutators in 2 dimensions are calculated by multiplying the two operators and then subtracting the result in reverse order. This process is known as the commutator operation and is denoted by square brackets [A,B]. The resulting value represents the degree to which the two operators do not commute.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the commutator in 2 dimensions?

The physical interpretation of the commutator in 2 dimensions is that it represents the degree to which two operators do not commute, or the extent to which their order affects the outcome of a system. A commutator of zero indicates that the two operators commute, meaning their order has no effect on the outcome of the system.

5. Are commutators in 2 dimensions only applicable in quantum mechanics?

No, commutators in 2 dimensions have applications in various fields, including classical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. They can also be used to study the behavior of systems in economics and social sciences. However, they are particularly important in quantum mechanics due to the non-commutative nature of certain operators.