Commutators: solving with jacobian

In summary: You are trying to use the jacobi identity with the commutator but you are not getting the correct answer. You should use the unnamed identity [A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C] instead.
Then it is [itex]\hat{x}[/itex], but I don't know its formula, or if it even has one besides [itex]\hat{x}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the coordinate basis, which is the basis you're working in, the operator ##\hat{x}## when acting on a function ##f(x)## simply multiplies that function by ##x##. That is to say, ##\hat{x}f(x) = xf(x)##.

So in this case it does nothing that would influence its right side, except for multiplication, right? Then I only see multiplication of two operators, [itex]\hat{p}x[/itex], which is just [itex]-i\hbar[/itex], and [itex]x\hat{p}\psi[/itex]. What can I do with this?

No. Say A and B are matrices and x is a vector. What you keep doing is equivalent to saying ABx = (Ax)(Bx). That's not how it works.

Just work right to left and remember that ##\hat{p}## acts on everything to its right.

the only thing I see is [itex]-i\hbar\frac{∂x}{∂x}\frac{∂ψ}{∂x}[/itex]. Where am I making mistake?

##\hat{p}## acts on everything to its right.

[itex]-i\hbar\frac{∂x\frac{∂\psi}{∂x}}{∂x}[/itex]?

Gosh, I finally understood my mistake:P I just treated the whole thing as simple standard multiplication, just like I should do in normal mathematical case, however in case of operators I should just multiply every operator by the variable on its right side:D In normal situation it seems illogical, looking like this: ##(A+B)CD=(AD+BD)CD##, but in case of operators it should look like this ##(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}x+i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x})(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi=(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+\psi\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=(-i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-i\hbar\psi i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=(-i\hbar\psi)(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=-\hbar^2\psi \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=-\hbar^2\frac{\partial }{\partial x}##

Unfortunately, I still do not know how to solve it using Jacobi identity... I am not even sure if I interpret it correctly. I tried to use the commutator ##[p^2_x,x]=[p_x p_x,x]##, use the given fact ##[p_x,x]=-i\hbar##, or ##[x,p_x]=i\hbar## and substitute it to Jacobi identity formula ##[p_x,[p_x,x]]+[p_x,[x,p_x]]+[x[p_x,p_x]]=0##, but those commutators zero themselves even before I sum them up. How to do this?

Last edited:
Rorshach said:
Gosh, I finally understood my mistake:P I just treated the whole thing as simple standard multiplication, just like I should do in normal mathematical case, however in case of operators I should just multiply every operator by the variable on its right side:D In normal situation it seems illogical, looking like this: ##(A+B)CD=(AD+BD)CD##, but in case of operators it should look like this ##(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}x+i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x})(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi=(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+\psi\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})##
Unfortunately, you haven't understood your mistake. You're still doing the same thing you did before. It doesn't work at all like (A+B)CD = (AD + BD)CD.

After you apply the rightmost ##\hat{p}##, you have ##\hat{p}\hat{x}\,\left(-i\hbar \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\right)##. Now ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}## is just another function. Let's call it ##f##. So now you have ##\hat{p}\hat{x}f##. What is ##\hat{x}f## equal to? Call that result ##g##. Then apply ##\hat{p}## to ##g##. What do you get?

##-i\hbar\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}##?

Ignoring the constants, yes, that's what you get. So what's the derivative of g equal to?

##-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##?

No. What is ##g## equal to?

##-i\hbar x\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}##

Oh right, I confused just derivative with applying the operator:P

it came down to ##-i\hbar(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x})=-i\hbar (-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})##, which is basically a half of the result, so it is correct, right?

Last edited:
Rorshach said:
##-i\hbar x\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}##
That's not correct. Where's you get ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}## from?

I just made a mistake while writing the result in code, it should be ##-i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##

OK, so what do you get when you differentiate that?

##-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##

How'd you get that?

I differentiated it by x, but from my experience I again made a mistake somewhere...

What if you wrote ##g=xf##? What do you get when you differentiate g?

oh shoot... it is ##x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+f##... but it only complicates the matter, now I have ##-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})##

That's only the first term (with some typos, I hope). You still have to subtract off the result from the xp term.

Now I'm completely lost. I repeated that calculation and got the same result, I cannot see the mistake. I thought that xp term was included in that ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}## combination?

my mistake again, forgot about the second term in the bracket. But I cannot use g substitution, since x is on the left side of the operator, I can only use f. What can I do with this?

Try starting over from the beginning now. You began with
$$[p^2,x]\psi = (p[p,x]+[p,x]p)\psi = p[p,x]\psi + [p,x]p\psi.$$ Now redo your calculations for ##p[p,x]\psi## and ##[p,x]p\psi##.

the result for the first term was correct, it came out as ##-\hbar^2\psi\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##. I just have problem with the second term, because I can't think of the solution with changed order of the operator...how to bite this?

Last edited:
I think I finally did it. Here it goes: ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar\frac{\partial x\psi}{\partial x}+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+(-i\hbar\frac{\partial xf}{\partial x}+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})##, where we let ##f=-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##. Then it goes on:
##-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+\psi\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+f\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})##, proceeding
##-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-i\hbar\psi+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+(i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}-i\hbar f+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})##, and then
##-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+(-i\hbar f)=-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=-2\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##.
Please tell me that this time I am right.

Just a few minor errors, probably typos, and you're not quite done.
Rorshach said:
I think I finally did it. Here it goes:
$$-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar\frac{\partial x\psi}{\partial x}+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+(-i\hbar\frac{\partial xf}{\partial x}+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}),$$ where we let ##f=-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}##. Then it goes on:
$$-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+\psi\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+(-i\hbar(x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+f\frac{\partial x}{\partial x})+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})$$
$$-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(-i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-i\hbar\psi+i\hbar x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})+({\color{red}-}i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}-i\hbar f+i\hbar x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})$$
$$-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}+(-i\hbar f)
= \hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-{\color{red} {(i\hbar)}}(-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})
= -\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}-\hbar^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}
= -2\hbar^{\color{red}2} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}$$.
Please tell me that this time I am right.
Now use the fact that ##-\hbar^2 = (-ih)^2## and rewrite the final result in terms of ##\hat{p}_x## to show that ##[\hat{p}_x^2,\hat{x}] = (-i\hbar)2\hat{p}_x##.

I don't quite understand what do You mean by presenting it in terms of ##p_x##, I thought that my calculations (without those stupid typos) are enough to show the correct result?

Well, ask yourself what you're trying to show. The problem asks you to calculate ##[\hat{p}_x^2,\hat{x}]## which is equal to ##-2i\hbar \hat{p}_x##. You haven't shown that. You've shown that when you work in the position basis, the action of ##[\hat{p}_x^2,\hat{x}]## on some arbitrary function ##\psi(x)## is to differentiate it and multiply it by ##-2\hbar^2##. You need to show that that's equivalent to applying ##\hat{p}## and multiplying by ##-2i\hbar##.

So basically I should take function ##\psi(x)##, act on it with ##\hat{p}## and multiply it by ##-2i\hbar##?