Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Commuter train

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    A commuter train can minimize the time t between two stations by accelerating (a1 = .20 m/s^2) for a time t1, then undergoing a negative acceleration (a2 = -.5 m/s^2) by using his brakes for a time t2. Since the stations are .90 km apart, the train never reaches its maximum velocity. Find the total travel time, t.

My method:

deltaS= (Vf^2-Vo^2)/2a
    900= (Vf^2/.4) + (Vf^2)
    900= 2.5Vf^2 + Vf^2
    Vf= 16 m/s

and then I used: Vf = Vo + at
    16= .2t
    t=80 s

0= 16 - .5t
    t=32 s

total t= 112 seconds

Can anyone please confirm this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

900 m is the entire distance. Note that the initial and final speeds are both zero over the 900 m.

Break the motion into two pieces, each with a different acceleration. Use that same kinematic formula, but for each piece separately. (The first piece goes from v = 0 to v = V1; the second goes from v = V1 to v = 0.)

4. Nov 9, 2004 #3
    I think that's what I did. Is my answer incorrect? I'm pretty sure my method is what you explained. If I'm wrong, please let me know. The Vf is the same as V1

5. Nov 9, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good. (I missed what you did, at first look.)

6. Nov 9, 2004 #5
    Ohh, thanks for the confirmation. I'm really happy I know what I'm doing :approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook