1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commuting Invertible Matrices

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Hey all,
    I'm having trouble showing the following point:
    if A is an invertible (n×n, real) matrix that commutes with ALL other invertible (n×n, real) matrices, then A is of the form cI, where c is any real number not equal to 0.

Anyone know how to show this?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try picking some particularly simple matrices B (such as having only a single nonzero entry!) and use AB = BA to get equations for the entries of A.

4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion. So I had to use matrices B of the form I with an additional 1 at one other entry. By brute force, calculating the corresponding entries of AB would eventually give that all diagonal entries of A were the same, and that all other non diagonal entries must be zero. Sweet.

5. Oct 16, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I would pick my B's so they have only one nonzero entry, rather than being the identity with an additional nonzero entry.

I think this is the easiest approach to understand, though not the shortest.

6. Oct 16, 2004 #5
    Yes, I was considering that, but B must also be invertible, so I had to complicate B a little bit by adding the diagonal 1's.

7. Oct 16, 2004 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, good point, I had missed that.

However, note this (reversible) deduction:

A(I+B) = (I+B)A
    A + AB = A + BA
    AB = BA

B commutes with A iff (I+B) commutes with A, so you could still work with my B's, if you choose.

8. Oct 16, 2004 #7
    That's wonderful! Thanks a lot for the help :smile:

9. Oct 17, 2004 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a conceptual suggestion. Think of A as a transformation and let v be any non zero vector. We want to show first that Av = cv for some constant c.

Choose a basis involving v as first vector and define another transformation B that takes v to v and the other basis vectors to 0. Then applying AB = BA to v shows that ABv = Av = BAv, so B acts on Av != 0 as the identity. Since A is invertible, Av is not zero, so then Av = cv for some non zero constant c, since multiples of v are the only non zero vectors B takes to themselves.

Thus every vector v is an "eigenvector" for A, i.e. Av always equals cv for some c possibly depending on v. Now if every vector is an eigen - vector, we claim all the eigenvalues must be equal.

To see that, assume that Av = cv and Aw = dw, where v and w are in different directions, and look at A(v+w) = cv + dw = e(v+w), and check that we must have c=d=e.

Now why is that? well then cv + dw -ev -ew = 0 = (c-e)v + (d-e)w, hence
    (c-e)v = (e-d)w, so these multiples of v and w are equal.

But since v, w are in different directions, their only equal multiples are zero, so d=e, c=e. QED.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?