Commute Operators: Hi Niles - Find Out Now

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the commutability of the exponential operator and the fermion creation/annihilation operators. It is determined that they do not commute, as shown by the example provided.
Niles
Hi

Say I have the creation/annihilation operators for fermions given by c and the exponential operator exp(-iHt), where H denotes the Hamiltonian of the (unperturbed) system. Is there any way for me to find out if exp(-iHt) and c (and its adjoint) commute?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
Hi

Say I have the creation/annihilation operators for fermions given by c and the exponential operator exp(-iHt), where H denotes the Hamiltonian of the (unperturbed) system. Is there any way for me to find out if exp(-iHt) and c (and its adjoint) commute?

Niles.
They don't commute, H = k c*c and {c,c*} = 1, therefore [H, c] = - k c. You can work out the rest.

What are commute operators?

Commute operators are mathematical operators that are used to manipulate and combine commuting variables in a mathematical expression. They are important in solving equations and performing calculations in various fields of science and engineering.

What is the purpose of commute operators?

The main purpose of commute operators is to provide a way to manipulate and rearrange mathematical expressions to make them easier to solve or understand. They also help to simplify complex calculations and make them more efficient.

How do commute operators work?

Commute operators follow specific rules and properties, such as the commutative property, which allows for the rearrangement of terms in an expression without changing the result. They can be applied to variables, numbers, and other mathematical entities to perform various operations.

What are some common commute operators?

Some common commute operators include addition, multiplication, and exponentiation. Other examples include the dot product and cross product in vector algebra, and the composition of functions in calculus.

Why are commute operators important in science?

Commute operators play a crucial role in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They allow scientists to analyze and manipulate mathematical models and equations, which are fundamental in understanding and predicting natural phenomena.