Why do commuting operators imply that A=A(a) will commute with b?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, commuting operators are mathematical operators that have the property of commuting, meaning their order does not affect the result of their operations. They are significant in quantum mechanics as they represent physical observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's results. Some examples of commuting operators include position and momentum, energy and time, and angular momentum in different directions. They can be used to simplify mathematical operations and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. However, not all operators can commute with each other. Only operators with the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors can commute.
Nikitin
Hi. Say a, A(a) and b are well behaving functions. Then say [a,b] = 0, i.e. a and b commute.

Why will this automatically mean that A=A(a) will commute with b? Can somebody give me an intuitive explanation, or link me to some proof?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think one way is taylor expanding A(a). Then [itex] [A(a),b]=c_0 [1,b]+c_1 [a,b]+c_2[a^2,b]+c_3[a^3,b]+...=0 [/itex].

Likes Nikitin

What are commuting operators?

Commuting operators are mathematical operators that have the property of commuting, which means their order does not affect the result of their operations.

What is the significance of commuting operators?

Commuting operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's results.

What are some examples of commuting operators?

Some examples of commuting operators include position and momentum, energy and time, and angular momentum in different directions.

How can commuting operators be used in quantum mechanics?

Commuting operators can be used to simplify mathematical operations and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

Can all operators commute with each other?

No, not all operators commute with each other. Only operators that have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors can commute with each other.