Exploring the Commutative Property of Vector Addition in Rn Spaces

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the commutative axiom of vector addition using the definition of a vector space and the other 9 axioms. There is confusion about whether this can be done and the significance of the commutative axiom in the definition. The conversation also discusses the difference between vector addition and scalar addition and how altering the definition can affect the commutativity of the set.
Shenlong08
I'm having trouble with a proof : u+v=v+u
using the definition of a vector space (excluding the commutitive axiom of course), thus I have the other 9 axioms to work with.

I'm not even sure if I'm using one of the axioms right; since I cannot say that u+v=v+u, I don't think that I should say that u+(-u)=(-u)+u=0...which is what I've been trying to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to prove the commutitive axiom from all the others?

Because if you are don't, it is an axiom for a reason, that is it cannot not be proven from the others, if it could it would not be an axiom, it would be a theorem and the commutitive axiom would not be in the definition.

let u={u1, u2...,un)
v={v1,v2...,vn)
then u+v= {u1+v1, u2+v2,...,un+vn} (vector addition)
or, u+v= {v1+v1, v2+u2,...,vn+un} (commutative property of addition on R)
therefore, u+v=v+u (vector addition)

Please, be careful about these, this is not a proof, this is exactly what mrandersdk has stated before. Note that, the two addition signs "+", (one for the addition [itex]u+v[/itex] and one for the additions [itex]u_i+v_i[/itex] that you used are different). We define the vector addition as such, it does not follow from the other axioms.

I can define the scalar addition as subtraction, then you don't have commutativity in that weird vector set (Since I destroyed the commutativity, it is not a vector space anymore, because commutativity is an axiom)

vdgreat said:
let u={u1, u2...,un)
v={v1,v2...,vn)
then u+v= {u1+v1, u2+v2,...,un+vn} (vector addition)
or, u+v= {v1+v1, v2+u2,...,vn+un} (commutative property of addition on R)
therefore, u+v=v+u (vector addition)
This is assuming that the vector space is Rn which was not given.

What is the commutative law for vectors?

The commutative law for vectors states that the order in which vector addition is performed does not affect the result. In other words, if we have two vectors A and B, then A + B = B + A.

How is the commutative law useful in vector operations?

The commutative law allows us to rearrange the order of vectors in an equation without changing the result. This can be especially useful when solving complex vector equations or when performing vector calculations in different coordinate systems.

Is the commutative law only applicable to vector addition?

No, the commutative law also applies to other vector operations such as scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. For example, if we have a scalar k and two vectors A and B, then k(A + B) = kA + kB.

Can the commutative law be applied to an unlimited number of vectors?

Yes, the commutative law can be applied to any number of vectors. This means that the order of addition or multiplication can be changed for any number of vectors without affecting the result.

Are there any other laws that are related to the commutative law for vectors?

Yes, there are other laws that are related to the commutative law, such as the associative law and the distributive law. These laws also apply to vector operations and are useful in simplifying complex vector equations.