Computer Science + Physics: Advice for Double Major

In summary, a computer science/physics double major would be a good foundation for doing computational physics if you want to go into a physics graduate program. Some of the courses you would need are quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics.
JohnGano
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a computer science/physics double major. I'm interested in computational physics, so I think it'd be a good match.

So I guess I have two questions...

1. If I wanted to do computational physics, would a computer science/math double major be a good foundation to get into grad school for computational physics? Or would it be better to have a stronger physics background?

2. What are the normal courses in a good physics program? The school I'm going to requires these courses:

Engineering Physics I & II
Modern Physics
Applied Mathematics
Analytical Mechanics
Microcomputer Interfacing
Electromagnetic Theory
Advanced Laboratory
Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics

Is there anything missing from this that a physics undergrad should normally take?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm about to graduate with a physics/CS double major. I think CS is helpful for physics insofar as it gives you lots of programming experience, but if that's all you want out of it you should just do a bunch of programming on your own.

Some physics grad programs claim to require an undergraduate degree in physics. If you want to do physics, why would you do a math major instead? If you did CS/math you'd need to take a bunch of core physics courses to be ready for physics grad school.

I think the core of physics undergrad is quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. These look like your quantum mechanics, analytical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, and statistical mechanics courses. In general I think these courses are longer than a single term (two trimesters where I am) except maybe for stat. mech. My understanding is physics grad schools look most closely at these undergrad courses. Your list looks reasonable.

As a side note, computer science is actually very useful to most modern astrophysics research (which is largely computational - astro departments seem to outsource most of the analytical work to physics departments these days). So that is a path you can also consider.

Also, you're going to have to eventually learn some topics on your own. So go with the degree program that you'd get the most out of. I was a math major at first, and I immensely regret it, because I was paying tuition for it and not getting anything out of it that I couldn't get out of self-study (most math really can be done on your own, using textbooks from several decades ago, whereas CS uses a lot of very modern equipment).

Simfish said:
I was a math major at first, and I immensely regret it, because I was paying tuition for it and not getting anything out of it that I couldn't get out of self-study (most math really can be done on your own, using textbooks from several decades ago, whereas CS uses a lot of very modern equipment).
I disagree with that. Sure, you can learn some maths on your own, but if anything, I think it is one of those subjects you get most out of classroom learning. I think guidance by a professor is really important here, maybe not so much because you wouldn't be able to understand that stuff on your own, but because it would take you 10 times as long. As you get a good foundation, you are able to grasp the stuff pretty quickly that way, as well, but I think that only comes after a couple of years being immersed in it, and not coming straight out of high school. Just because CS or medicine or whatever requires stuff you don't have lying around in your room, whereas math doesn't, doesn't mean you get less out of your tuition.

I disagree with that. Sure, you can learn some maths on your own, but if anything, I think it is one of those subjects you get most out of classroom learning. I think guidance by a professor is really important here, maybe not so much because you wouldn't be able to understand that stuff on your own, but because it would take you 10 times as long. As you get a good foundation, you are able to grasp the stuff pretty quickly that way, as well, but I think that only comes after a couple of years being immersed in it, and not coming straight out of high school. Just because CS or medicine or whatever requires stuff you don't have lying around in your room, whereas math doesn't, doesn't mean you get less out of your tuition.

Yeah, it really works differently for different people I suppose. I have severe ADD, so I got virtually nothing out of math lectures, while I got a lot more out of classes where I could actually do things.

In that case, maybe it wasn't my business to go into this thread, but I think a diversity of experiences is still important, and I wanted someone else to respond to my comment.

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in computer science and physics?

Double majoring in computer science and physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both technical fields, providing a well-rounded understanding of the intersection between computing and physics. This combination can open up a wide range of career opportunities, as well as the potential for interdisciplinary research.

2. Is it difficult to balance the workload of a double major in computer science and physics?

While it may require careful planning and time management, balancing the workload of a double major in computer science and physics is certainly possible. It is important to prioritize and stay organized, as well as seek support from professors and peers when needed.

3. How can I prepare for a double major in computer science and physics?

Prior to starting a double major in computer science and physics, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as some programming experience. Taking introductory courses in both fields can also provide a good starting point for understanding the material covered in more advanced courses.

4. What are some common career paths for those with a double major in computer science and physics?

With a double major in computer science and physics, individuals can pursue careers in a variety of fields such as software engineering, data science, robotics, and computational physics. They may also have opportunities to work in research and development, or pursue graduate studies in a related field.

5. Are there any challenges unique to double majoring in computer science and physics?

Some potential challenges of double majoring in computer science and physics may include a heavy workload, the need to balance technical and theoretical coursework, and the potential for overlapping course requirements. However, with proper planning and time management, these challenges can be overcome and the benefits of a double major can be well worth it.