Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Compact Hausdorff space.

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](X,\tau)[/tex] be a compact Hausdorff space,
    and let [tex]f : X \to X[/tex] be continuous, but not surjective. Prove that
    there is a nonempty proper subset [tex]S \subset X[/tex] such that [tex]f(S) =
    S[/tex]. [Hint: Consider the subspaces [tex]S_n := f^{\circ n}(X)[/tex] where
    [tex]f^{\circ n} := f \circ \cdots \circ f[/tex] ([tex]n[/tex] times)].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If such [tex]S[/tex] exists then [tex]f^{\circ n}(S) = S[/tex]. How should I use this in the proof? I don't have any clue where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    What can you say about the sets S_n? For example, are they nested? What do you know about the continuous image of a compact set?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am stuck on the same problem.

I let S = lim S_n so we have f(S) = f(lim S_n) = lim f(S_n) = lim S_{n+1} = S. Obvisouly S is non-empty since each f(S_n) is not empty.

I am not sure if I got it right. We know that each S_n is closed and compact since X is a compact Hausdorff space and f is continuous, but I didnt use this property at all in my solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook