1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Compact Hausdorff space.

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](X,\tau)[/tex] be a compact Hausdorff space,
    and let [tex]f : X \to X[/tex] be continuous, but not surjective. Prove that
    there is a nonempty proper subset [tex]S \subset X[/tex] such that [tex]f(S) =
    S[/tex]. [Hint: Consider the subspaces [tex]S_n := f^{\circ n}(X)[/tex] where
    [tex]f^{\circ n} := f \circ \cdots \circ f[/tex] ([tex]n[/tex] times)].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If such [tex]S[/tex] exists then [tex]f^{\circ n}(S) = S[/tex]. How should I use this in the proof? I don't have any clue where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    What can you say about the sets S_n? For example, are they nested? What do you know about the continuous image of a compact set?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am stuck on the same problem.

I let S = lim S_n so we have f(S) = f(lim S_n) = lim f(S_n) = lim S_{n+1} = S. Obvisouly S is non-empty since each f(S_n) is not empty.

I am not sure if I got it right. We know that each S_n is closed and compact since X is a compact Hausdorff space and f is continuous, but I didnt use this property at all in my solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook